News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Reflecting back...a few other danger in Atlanta stories, from when I used to work as a manager of a restaurant (in brookhaven, which is a good part of town too)...

--Every night I had a routine when closing and locking up. I'd take a bag with all the money for the day, lock the storage shed behind the store, and then drive to the bank to deposit the money in the drop box. I closed 6 nights a week. On my day off, the stand in manager had someone else go lock the shed for him. There was a guy in the shed with a gun demanding the money. The guy locking the shed freaked out and ran away, and didn't get shot.

--One night after closing, a guy that was helping me clean up went to get gas. As he pulled up to the pump, the store was being robbed. The clerk was shot and killed, and my coworker was the only witness to the murder.

--There was a hotel manager that used refer us to guests. I knew him in passing—I'd give him free food and restock his menus to pass out from time to time. He had been robbed a few times and had enough. So he kept a gun at work. One day three guys tried to rob him, and a shootout ensued. He was shot in the head and killed. He also shot one of the robbers.

--Our restaurant did a lot of delivery. We had a customer that lived around the corner from the store that called extremely pissed off about his steak being cooked wrong. I apologized, and told him I'd bring him a new order. I knocked on door, and when he opened it, he had a gun pointed at me. He didn't shoot, so no harm no foul, I guess.

--The craziest thing was when I was doing clinicals to get my EMS certification. It was something like my second time on an ambulance, and I was riding with 2 two rather colorful paramedics. I really wanted to go to a shooting, so I signed up to do clinicals during Freaknik. At about 3 AM, we got a call for a guy who was mildly injured after getting hit over the head with a bottle while being robbed. He got violent with us in the back of the truck while we were doing the examination, and a fight ensued. If you don't know about Freaknik, it was black college spring break, and the streets were completely packed and impassable due to all the cruising.

We were immediately surrounded by a crowd demanding we let the guy go. The crowd got aggressive, and it didn't look good for 3 white guys holding down a black guy. The patient started biting one of the EMTs, and he started banging his head on the road to make him stop. The crowd didn't like this, and one guy kicked the EMT square in the face. I thought we were in big trouble. Because of the impassable roads and some problems with the 911 dispatch system, it took 10-15 minutes for help to arrive. That was a very long 10-15 minutes in my life. In the end, basically the entire APD showed up, and we made the local news.

I think we all definitely felt a bit badass showing back up to HQ in torn clothes and one of us with a blown up face. That was the last year the city allowed Freaknik to take over the city.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

At least you guys have guns to keep you safe.

CountDeMoney

I don't read your posts, Dorsey, because they'll just change 5 years from now.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
I don't read your posts, Dorsey, because they'll just change 5 years from now.

They won't change, but they might be deleted.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Interesting tourism ad from Newfoundland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthuKmagC-E
I'm not entirely sure 'a place captured by Dutch, French, and the English.. is no stranger to holding people captive' is the theme I would've chosen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

25 years ago: the GameBoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcBD5Zje1h8

I never had one. I had to make do with an NES, and an SNES (the latter bought with my own money).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I had a gameboy. It was awesome!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

We were teh poor. So I had to decide between a GameBoy and the SNES when I had money to buy one or the other.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

My cousin had a GameBoy, I wasn't all that impressed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

My cousin had a GameBoy, and he wouldn't let me play it, even when he wasn't playing it.

We haven't spoken in twenty-four years.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2014, 03:34:05 AM
We were teh poor. So I had to decide between a GameBoy and the SNES when I had money to buy one or the other.

You chose... Wisely!

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2014, 03:24:26 AM
25 years ago: the GameBoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcBD5Zje1h8

I never had one. I had to make do with an NES, and an SNES (the latter bought with my own money).

Comes with the amazing new game, Tetris.

:D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I always loathed Tetris.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive