And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2014, 01:12:31 PM
Like?

We are first world, and have the nuclear arsenal to deal with the dissenters.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

It is true. We suck now.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 01:19:56 PM
Like?

We are first world, and have the nuclear arsenal to deal with the dissenters.  :)

The Russians have a huge nuke arsenal as well. Doesn't make Russia any less of a shit hole.

Sheilbh

Why do older professionals in sports like snooker start losing and retire?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 04:07:53 PM

I imagine  shaky hands and  bad eyes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
One of the things I've had drilled into my head: when traveling for work, if there are safety concerns where you are going, be very sensitive about mentioning it to the people at the location. It is sort of weird to be on the flip side of this, to see that travelers see the safety where I live as a risk to be mitigated like in a third world country.

Atlanta's a fucking dump.  I don't think the company wants to see a bodybag shipped back to Ireland because he has the street sense of a typical European.  Sorry if it hurt your feelings, though.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 04:07:53 PM

You haven't yet experienced the onset of aging, have you.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Like?

Big deal.  There isn't a First World anymore.  How's that deflation taste?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 12:56:49 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2014, 12:18:39 PM
Appalachians.

It rained most of the time so very little actual mountain activities were involved, unless "sitting in a mansion with no Internet, no TV, and apparently no heat" counts.  When it got down to a light mist, I walked down and back up part of the mountain to avoid talking to people for the thirteenth straight hour.

You would probably have skipped around me laughing like a smug, anthropomorphized mountain goat. :P

If you want to go back some weekend, look me up. I'm always up for the mountains.

Might do.  I'm not 100% sure why we even went, except we'd made the plans.  It's not like we paid a deposit or anything.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 20, 2014, 05:11:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
One of the things I've had drilled into my head: when traveling for work, if there are safety concerns where you are going, be very sensitive about mentioning it to the people at the location. It is sort of weird to be on the flip side of this, to see that travelers see the safety where I live as a risk to be mitigated like in a third world country.

Atlanta's a fucking dump.  I don't think the company wants to see a bodybag shipped back to Ireland because he has the street sense of a typical European.  Sorry if it hurt your feelings, though.

Have you heard the one about glass houses and stones?  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 05:37:58 PM

Oh, you won't ever see me dodging the issue of whether Baltimore is a dump.  But Atlanta is a bigger, wider, stupider dump of many more magnitudes of dumpism.   

Ed Anger

And those fucking roads there. Designed by Satan himself. Or a retarded version of Albert Speer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 20, 2014, 07:02:23 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 05:37:58 PM

Oh, you won't ever see me dodging the issue of whether Baltimore is a dump.  But Atlanta is a bigger, wider, stupider dump of many more magnitudes of dumpism.   

There are no go areas. But downtown is basically safe. If I stupidly didn't buy a condo that is now outrageously underwater, I'd move there (or at least midtown). Just don't go wandering around off the main drag with a bunch of valuables, or after dark. But then it is probably easier to just tell a Euro to stay 7-8 miles away than explain that.

Admiral Yi

So in Atlanta main streets are safe during daylight.  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 07:15:40 PM
So in Atlanta main streets are safe during daylight.  :lol:

The actual main streets where the bars are stay safe into the night. I wouldn't stray much beyond them though.