News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The girl at the baker's was so stressed I couldn't get myself to say that I asked for an Americano and not a Latte.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 08:30:18 PM
Edit: Also am I the only person who just can't bring myself to buy trousers advertised as 'chinos' even if I like them? :blush:

Just another name for khakis.  Don't see the problem.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2014, 07:06:00 AM
Edit: Also am I the only person who just can't bring myself to buy trousers advertised as 'chinos' even if I like them? :blush:

Just another name for khakis.  Don't see the problem.
I'm not very happy buying khakis either.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Watched a BBC interview with Marine Le Pen. It was interesting because it was on the high-brow news show, so she was subtitled not dubbed. Two thoughts:
1 - She sounds a bit like Thatcher. I wonder if, like Thatcher, she got a vocal coach to lower her voice or if she's always been that deep?
2 - She's very good. It is maddening watching how many times nice, no doubt liberal bourgeois journalists interview a populist street fighter and get absolutely mauled.

She needs to have her teeth done.

QuoteEdit: Also am I the only person who just can't bring myself to buy trousers advertised as 'chinos' even if I like them? :blush:

Right there with you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 17, 2014, 10:10:41 PM
Curving the brim was very important, too. 

Still is. 

Goddamned kids these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 08:54:14 AM
I'm not very happy buying khakis either.

Don't you honor the troops when you dress in khaki?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 18, 2014, 02:59:58 AM
I think her voice got deeper with her heavy smoking habit. UK-only show I guess.
Afraid so. A lot of it was about her and Nigel Farage anyway, so of limited interest outside the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

I've always found Marine Le Pen to be a little scarily effective and/or appealing. :ph34r:  (Not least to me since she spent a few years in the early-mid 90s as what I gather is the French equivalent of a public defender.)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

The Japanese lady sitting next to me at work is annoying me by blasting her country music.  Ah Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I think I wore a Braves cap, since it was my dad's team and I didn't have to stake out a position in the Yankees/Mets battleground.

Your dad was a good man.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

This Pathe film's kind of amazing. Shows just how closely related immigration and Empire were in the 50s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2VyKtfByXk
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 10:44:15 AM
This Pathe film's kind of amazing. Shows just how closely related immigration and Empire were in the 50s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2VyKtfByXk
I can't help but laugh and cry at the labour exchange being able to find people work within a few days. Better times.
Damn anti-immigration people. We could have used more ye olde Jamaicans.

Oh. And Jamaican music is gay. Apparently. :lol:

From that video I clicked into this one, ye olde football:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI2R6nEBoXU
It really does look pretty schoolboyish. Lots of balls bobbing about in the air.
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on April 18, 2014, 09:57:04 AM
I think I wore a Braves cap, since it was my dad's team and I didn't have to stake out a position in the Yankees/Mets battleground.

Your dad was a good man.

A Hank Aaron fan. :)  Who would have inherited Dodgers loyalty, but then they weren't around anymore.  The rest of the family mostly went Mets once they arrived on the scene, some went Yankees.  My mom's stepdad went with the Cardinals for some reason.

I enjoyed being a Braves fan as a kid.  Doing the tomahawk chop and "oh-ay, oh-ay, oh-ay-oh-way-oh-waaaay" and what not. :swiss:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Who names their daughter Electra? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 01:25:45 PM
Who names their daughter Electra? :blink:

Someone called Clytemnestra?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.