News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I thought the tradition in Japan was office drinking parties are the one time you're allowed to talk smack to your boss.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2014, 10:04:41 AM
I thought the tradition in Japan was office drinking parties are the one time you're allowed to talk smack to your boss.

Maybe he over did it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on April 04, 2014, 08:33:54 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2014, 03:10:10 AM

Saw this letter from Alec Guinness to a friend:

I think that's a fake?
Doubt it. It's from Letters of Note and I don't think he's posted a fake yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Brazen

Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2014, 09:08:50 AM
Sorry Brazen, but the teenager stuck in drain pipe because of lost phone beat you to the Danish papers.
That's OK, I made the Italian and Dutch news  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2014, 09:49:45 AM
Casually talking with a co-worker I mentioned I had plans tonight to go drinking with some friends in a nearby city, one where I'm thinking of moving long term if this job works out.
My co-worker looked deathly serious as he said "That city is famous for having the most yakuza per capita in Japan you know".
When I got to the city I met one of my friends at the station. Walking down the street to meet the others I mentioned this to her "Shh!!" she said and looked around paranoid "Don't say that here!". Apparently it is verbotten to even mention it in a neutral light.
Well shit....
The city wasn't so funky either...
There goes that plan I think.

You give up too easily.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Should I be concerned the acronym for sports classes at UT is PED?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 04, 2014, 03:35:20 AM
CDM would have been on Guiness's ass about not seeing The Conversation.  :P

Goddamned right.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 04, 2014, 09:07:53 AM
It is odd to write out your struggles to remember someone's name before coming to the correct

Not necessarily; some people actually write like they think and speak during the compositon of social correspondence, particularly if one has an artistic bent.

You, on the other hand, are a clinical sociopath, so naturally it would seem alien to you.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2014, 12:34:40 PM

Not necessarily; some people actually write like they think and speak during the compositon of social correspondence, particularly if one has an artistic bent.

You, on the other hand, are a clinical sociopath, so naturally it would seem alien to you.

The man included an asterisk with a footnote at the end of the letter continuing the dialogue and with the correct name. If he footnoted his own thoughts or speech, that would be unusual.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

CountDeMoney

I use asterisks and footnotes all the time.*

*You asshole.

garbon

Quote(I am working the concessions stand at a movie theater in a very affluent neighborhood, in early 2009.)

Customer: "How much for a small popcorn?"

Me: "$5.50."

Customer: "THAT much? Wow. Well, that's what we get for electing Obama."

Me: "I was unaware that the President of the United States took time out of his schedule to set popcorn prices."

(I've been back to this theater recently and prices have actually gone up. THANKS, OBAMA!)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2014, 12:44:33 PM
I use asterisks and footnotes all the time.*

*You asshole.

Also, you of all people have no standing to pass out psychological diagnoses. If you did practice psychology, you would be the Dr. Kevorkian of the profession.

CountDeMoney

Goddamned right.  I'd put your pathological ass to sleep.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2014, 01:18:18 PM
Goddamned right.  I'd put your pathological ass to sleep.

In my case, it might be for the best.  :lol:

alfred russel

I'm curious if anyone figured out why I picked the name "Alfred Russel"?