News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Reich Friends

Only ok video, but this comment makes it worthwhile.

QuoteI admittedly loved the first season's will-they-won't-they tension between Eva's little sister Gretl and SS henchman Fegelein. But then after the season two wedding atop the Eagle's Nest, the writers fell back on the will-they-won't-they tension of whether Heinrich and Hermann would ever admit their true feelings, and whether Joe and Magda would poison their kids. I of course rooted for both to happen, especially the latter given how ungehorsam those 6 little shits were, but neither focus felt quite as compelling as the perfectly coquettish Gretl flirting with the ever-dopey Fegelein...

The final season was a bit of a slackened slog once it became clear that Heinrich and Hermann were too repressed to surrender to their smoldering passion, instead drifting in separate traitorous directions, and likewise clear that Joe and Mags were finally ready to put down their noxious litter. Thankfully the writers then brought the show's focus back to its central slow-burn romance -- for all their commitment anxieties and pseudo-feminist hang-ups about marriage, Adolf and Eva finally tying the knot in the series finale had me tearing up. Blondie's reaction with the puppy eyes and head tilt was priceless.

So yeah, while not as good as Cheers, certainly in my top five.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 12:27:23 PM
With a son at the beginning stages of the university admissions process I have learned a few things about the differences between the North American and UK systems.  As you say in the UK you apply to study a subject  whereas in North America students may have a particular area in mind by undergrad is more of a generalist exerience.  Those differences are reflected in the admissions process.  North American universities are very interested in "well rounded" students who will succeed in the kind of generalist programs which are offered.  In the UK prospective students are interviewed to determine whether they are a good fit for that particular subject area.
Interesting.

From my experience you still need to try and show you're well-rounded. Lots of universities don't interview you now and use your personal statement as an 'interview'. I'm not sure for foreign students, but for British ones you can only apply for six universities and chances are they'll all be at a similar academic level. So there'll be a few thousand students with similar grades going for that place and you're told you really have to use the personal statement to say why they should pick you.

When I was applying my teachers put a lot of emphasis on my personal statement and I had it checked and talked over with a few of them.

If you're going for Oxbridge they also wanted a sample of your work and then an interview with, occasionally, famously odd questions.

Has he any idea what he wants to study, or where? If he gets the chance it'd be worth visiting a couple of university open days or if possible friends over here. A lot of British universities are in their city so I think there may be a different vibe than most North American ones which I'm under the impression are mostly campus.

Also his accent will have far more mileage this side of the Atlantic :P
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

A limit on # of places you can apply? I think I applied to 12.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
Yeah. We were only allowed to apply for six :ph34r:

And the same personal statement for them all so you can't tailor it too much.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 03:34:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
Yeah. We were only allowed to apply for six :ph34r:

And the same personal statement for them all so you can't tailor it too much.

So when you strike out at all 6, you cry? Or do you manage it judiciously like 1 reach, 3 okay and 2 safety or some like?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 03:36:23 PM
So when you strike out at all 6, you cry? Or do you manage it judiciously like 1 reach, 3 okay and 2 safety or some like?
You can either wait for the next year, or go through clearing. Which is basically universities advertising vacancies on their courses and people, who by then have their results but no place, apply directly.

I'm not sure about how it works precisely though.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 03:25:04 PM
Interesting.

From my experience you still need to try and show you're well-rounded. Lots of universities don't interview you now and use your personal statement as an 'interview'. I'm not sure for foreign students, but for British ones you can only apply for six universities and chances are they'll all be at a similar academic level. So there'll be a few thousand students with similar grades going for that place and you're told you really have to use the personal statement to say why they should pick you.

When I was applying my teachers put a lot of emphasis on my personal statement and I had it checked and talked over with a few of them.

If you're going for Oxbridge they also wanted a sample of your work and then an interview with, occasionally, famously odd questions.

Has he any idea what he wants to study, or where? If he gets the chance it'd be worth visiting a couple of university open days or if possible friends over here. A lot of British universities are in their city so I think there may be a different vibe than most North American ones which I'm under the impression are mostly campus.

Also his accent will have far more mileage this side of the Atlantic :P

By well rounded I mean that North American universities are a lot more interested in things the applicant does that have nothing to do with what they might want to study.  So for example both my boys are quite good musicians and athletes (my oldest has already been offered a music scholarship which is why I have come to know something about how that works).  Although those things have nothing to do with what they will end up studying (he wants to study physics) their applications will be weighted very favourably by NA universities because of them.

My sense of UK universities is they are much more interested in the aptitude the student has shown in that particular area of study although, hopefully, they will also look favourably on the full package. 

As I said, my older boy wants to study physics. He is very good in this area and in math - one might say exceptional (yes I know, the milkman must have been doing more than delivering milk).  He would dearly love to get into Cal Tech.  But that is more an aspirational dream than anything as the chances are extremely slim and particularly since they have come under pressure to take more domestic students.  A Canadian option is to study at the Perimeter Institute.  We have also been giving the UK options a close look.  Your model seems much better for someone who knows what area they want to study.  As the date for deciding comes closer he will likely go see the UK university options for himself.  I think it would be a great adventure for him.  The downside of studying abroad of course is that he will likely meet someone special over there (and not just because of his accent :D) and we will rarely get to see him.

As for Oxbridge - a friend of my son was accepted last year.  He went for the personal interview.   He wanted to study biology.  The interview consisted of one question.  They placed some sort of moth wing on a table and asked what he could tell them about it.  Apparently he gave a fairly comprehensive answer and was accepted.

@ Garbon, a number of jurisdictions allow a limited number applications by agreement amongst the unversities in order to try to reduce the administrative costs of everyone applying everywhere.  The system makes students give some serious thought as to where they really want to go beyond the mere cost of the application fee. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 04:04:01 PMMy sense of UK universities is they are much more interested in the aptitude the student has shown in that particular area of study although, hopefully, they will also look favourably on the full package. 
Yeah. I think it's a balance. They will have hundreds or thousands of UK and international students who have got very good grades in physics. The other stuff, like music and sports, are really important to make you stand out as an applicant.

QuoteAs for Oxbridge - a friend of my son was accepted last year.  He went for the personal interview.   He wanted to study biology.  The interview consisted of one question.  They placed some sort of moth wing on a table and asked what he could tell them about it.  Apparently he gave a fairly comprehensive answer and was accepted.
Over here teachers who went to Oxbridge normally give students who are applying a few fake interviews to give them some practice. It's probably particularly important at state schools.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 04:04:01 PM
@ Garbon, a number of jurisdictions allow a limited number applications by agreement amongst the unversities in order to try to reduce the administrative costs of everyone applying everywhere.  The system makes students give some serious thought as to where they really want to go beyond the mere cost of the application fee. 

Interesting, if anything we might be doing the opposite. I know that proliferation of common applications across universities made it simpler to apply for multiple.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 04:38:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 04:04:01 PM

Interesting, if anything we might be doing the opposite. I know that proliferation of common applications across universities made it simpler to apply for multiple.

The US has a very interesting method of dealing with the problem.  First there is a early round of commitment where an applicant commits to only one university that they are sure they want to attend.  This round is only for students that are reasonable sure that university also wants them.  If the unversity accepts the applicant then the student is obligated to go to that university.  The upside for both is the certainty.

The next round is the general application you referred to.  A lot of universities have opted into the common application process and you are correct that it certainly makes things easier to apply to a wide range of schools.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 04:42:51 PM
The US has a very interesting method of dealing with the problem.  First there is a early round of commitment where an applicant commits to only one university that they are sure they want to attend.  This round is only for students that are reasonable sure that university also wants them.  If the unversity accepts the applicant then the student is obligated to go to that university.  The upside for both is the certainty.

I never understood this piece and opted out of it. Of course, that might be that there was never one school that I knew I wanted to attend, so wouldn't have liked to lock out my options so early.

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 04:42:51 PM
The next round is the general application you referred to.  A lot of universities have opted into the common application process and you are correct that it certainly makes things easier to apply to a wide range of schools.

Well I'd also venture that most people likely get in through this route (even at top schools) though I've no numbers to back that.

garbon

We also have early action in some places which is the non-binding form.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 04:38:29 PM
From memory (it's been a long time :weep:) you make the application to your chosen six, but this is way before you've sat the exams so you're going on predictive grades. You'll then get offered an unconditional or conditional place. Still way before you've sat the exams I think you have to choose two offers that you accept - one firm and one backup. If you then fail to get the grades then you're back in clearing.

So I accepted my place at Bristol, but my back-up was Glasgow (Scotland's system is a little closer to the US/NA in generalism) because they'd given me a far lower offer.

Edit: And there can be a problem if for some reason the uni accepts too many students who then get the grades and suddenly have to deal with a bigger than normal class. I think that happened at Bristol the year before I arrived.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Apparently 11% of Americans think HTML is an STD. I think these are my favourite people :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!