And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2014, 06:22:34 PM
QuoteYou got: Ludwig Wittgenstein.

You spend a lot of time thinking and often find yourself unable to express your thoughts to those around you. You're baffled by the world and don't think it's possible to make sense of it.
:huh: I actually understand everything about the world.

I've read your posts. No you don't.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on March 02, 2014, 06:23:33 PM

You spend a lot of time thinking and often find yourself unable to express your thoughts to those around you. You're baffled by the world and don't think it's possible to make sense of it.

I've read your posts. No you don't.
:face:

PDH

Adolf Hitler:  You want to create an autarky for your nation and then invade the surrounding countries to create a homeland that is large enough for your volk.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

You got: George Berkeley.

You don't think that anything exists unless it is being perceived. You think that the best way to learn about the world is to experience as many things as possible.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

This is how I spent most of the afternoon.

I'm minding my own business playing some SR2020 and watching some Futurama and Mrs. MIM decides to purge her denim supply.

She's been trying them all on and asking me if I think they should stay or go. YES I WILL GIVE AN OPINION. Stand against the wall honey, and get on your tiptoes. Models always stand on their toes.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned that she had 20 pairs of jeans to give away or just happy that she will only be wearing the ones I like from now on. I've never owned 20 pairs of pants in my life...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 01, 2014, 11:48:51 PM
I also want it to burn down but I would like the football team to continue and win.   :(

I will help you burn down your university.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on March 02, 2014, 09:08:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2014, 07:20:15 PM
Our culture is very different on this point.  We consider sports just as vital as other forms of education, and education is considered an essential task of the government.
Our universities and schools all have sports education, but it is meant mainly for the normal students and doesn't have a professional side to it. I played soccer at university and went skiing with them.

QuoteHowever the idea was never that it become this huge deal where coaches and athletic directors are being paid millions.  That came about because of TV and it is looking more and more certain these teams are going to be pro for all intents and purposes sooner rather than later.  It was a nice idea while it existed I guess, sort of like the Olympic ideal.
Our university sports are probably much closer to what you may have had before it became a professional business.

College sports in the US aren't professional. They are amateur, at least for the athletes. No one is a professional college football player (yes I know the rules have been bent from time to time)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on March 02, 2014, 08:02:17 PM
I also want it to burn down but I would like the football team to continue and win.   :(

I will do the same for you.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Neat so did I.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Ohio State will run over you with its MRAP.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

I got Socrates.

All we are is dust in the wind, dude.  :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/03/01/newser-teen-facebook-post-80k/5923567/

QuoteTeen's Facebook post costs dad $80K

Usually, the worst an ill-advised Facebook post can do is embarrass you (assuming you haven't committed a crime). But recent prep school grad Dana Snay cost her father $80,000 when she made the mistake of talking about her dad's wrongful termination settlement with Gulliver Preparatory School, the Miami Herald reports.

Patrick Snay, 69, had sued the school for age discrimination and won $10,000 in back wages plus an $80,000 settlement. But there was one little condition: Snay had to keep the deal secret.

Technically that meant he couldn't tell his daughter, but he says he "needed to tell her something"—the suit alleged that the school had retaliated against him through her, and he says she has "psychological scars."

And telling her might have been fine, had Dana not gone on Facebook and written:

"Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver. Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT."

The school never paid the settlement, saying Snay broke his confidentiality agreement, and on Wednesday an appeals court agreed. "Snay violated the agreement by doing exactly what he had promised not to do," the judge wrote.

"His daughter then did precisely what the confidentiality agreement was designed to prevent." Bustle says it must be "the most expensive Facebook status of all time."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Dude is on the subcommittee for energy! :bleeding:

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Ooh, Oooh me too!  We can bring Ide along!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017