News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2014, 06:59:49 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2014, 06:49:08 PMBut why? I don't quite understand it. Tights look exactly the same on a fully dressed person but they're less faff. At least that's the reason "Nobody wears them anymore" (As I've been told anyway).

Who's been telling you that, out of curiosity?
My mam.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2014, 05:17:48 AM
Weird question...but do women ever actually wear stockings?
Listening to a woman at work today talk about what was acceptable clothing she mentioned stockings for women, which made me snigger as in my mind they are purely a sex item.
Its not something I've ever really looked into or had the opportunity to notice but most girls I know of always wear tights.
Quite common in Korea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 03:48:10 PM
He was notorious for getting horrible man-flus in the fall
Man-flus? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

My Maternal Grandfather was brought out of Army Reserves( He had joined back in 1916 as 15 year old, chased Villa in Mexico, fought in France) as a Lt. Colonel and made C.O. of Army recruitment depot in Pennsylvania.

My Paternal Grandfather joined Army in Sep of 1940 and was stationed with 1st Cav at Ft. Bliss (hence where my dad was born 6 days after Pearl Harbor) and served with the unit through out the war to my knowledge.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

My maternal grandpa was a young teenage boy so I don't think he did anything substantial. His older brother, however, was pretty active in the resistance; he was a part of the regional leadership in his area, organized collection of weapon drops etc.

My paternal grandfather was some sort of engineer in England at the time, so I assume he did something useful. I never met him, though, so that's just an assumption.

Ed Anger

I went back in time and advised Adolf Hitler on military matters. Whoops.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:17:50 PM:lol: Your cowardly grandfather sounds like a hoot.

There is nothing cowardly about doing work essential to the war effort stateside :angry:

Unless it's to waste precious man- and woman-hours sending people on left-handed monkey wrench snipe hunts.  I wonder how many GIs died because of it.

Josquius

Since we're war topicing...
My dad's side skipped WW2. My great grandfather was too old and my grandfather too young. But he would never shut up about his post war national service.
On my mam's side my grandad was desperate to get out of the mine so joined the RAF and worked in one of those underground control centres. Doing what I don't know, given his lack of education it was probably nothing cool.
My nanna's many brothers got up to a bunch of things though. One of them I know was a chindit and brought a katana home with him.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2014, 07:08:16 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2014, 05:17:48 AM
Weird question...but do women ever actually wear stockings?
Listening to a woman at work today talk about what was acceptable clothing she mentioned stockings for women, which made me snigger as in my mind they are purely a sex item.
Its not something I've ever really looked into or had the opportunity to notice but most girls I know of always wear tights.
Quite common in Korea.
hmm....yes...it would make sense in Asia, women dress a bit more old fashioned round these parts. I guess it doesnt carry the sexy connotations here :(
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2014, 04:22:46 PM
Would anyone happen to know the largest units formed by the RCAF in WWII?  I've never heard mention of *any* RCAF units in anything I've read.
They were one of the larger contributors to the Battle of Britain, with the Poles :wub: :weep:

I don't know about my mum's side of the family, given that they were in the Isle of Man mostly I doubt they did much during the war. My paternal grandfather didn't fight due to needing inch thick glasses and his fierce Irish Republicanism (he had been involved in the IRA during the Irish Civil War). But he did work in the volunteer ambulances, because the city they lived in was being bombed to shit - as an aside he carried on working in the ambulances for a while after the war, there's a photo of Nye Bevan inspecting ambulances in Preston on the day the NHS launched and my granddad's just behind him.

My dad was a baby at the time, so too young to be evacuated. He was later told they were in the shelter under the kitchen table and a bomb went off nearby. His mum heard him start crying and reached down to feel his head covered in liquid and started screaming herself. As it turned out the goldfish bowl had shattered near him. But it was close his street was mostly destroyed by the end of the war.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Yeah Josq, I was going to say that stockings are fairly common in Japan AFAIK, subject to the vagaries of fashion. I encourage you to engage in some reconnaissance missions.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Looks right.  Head coaches have to be bid for on the open market.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2014, 02:59:48 AM
Is this accurate?

I am not much of a libertarian, but I don't think the state should pay sport coaches. That doesn't strike me as an essential task of the government.