News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2014, 09:49:32 AM
Yeah, pretty sure a scholarship doesn't make someone a professional. I had an academic scholarship for part of my college career, did that make me a professional? My roommate for part of college was a swimmer that had a scholarship but toiled in absolute anonymity and no one showed up to his events. Was he a professional?
I would draw the line at the academic merit of the scholarship. If you only get the scholarship because you are an exceptional athlete and not from academic merits, that makes you a professional sportsman in my book. Universities sponsoring academic excellence is different as I consider that to be their main task. But as you said, apparently there is a cultural difference and your universities are also considering sponsorship of quasi-professional athletics among their tasks.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on March 03, 2014, 11:17:37 AM
I would draw the line at the academic merit of the scholarship. If you only get the scholarship because you are an exceptional athlete and not from academic merits, that makes you a professional sportsman in my book. Universities sponsoring academic excellence is different as I consider that to be their main task. But as you said, apparently there is a cultural difference and your universities are also considering sponsorship of quasi-professional athletics among their tasks.

Well we give art scholarships and art is just as academic as sports, at least in our mind.  Also almost all scholarship athletes are playing sports without big money coaches or any of that, it is just for the students benefit.  Typically only the Men's Basketball and Football players are blurring the lines and then only at the top 200 or so schools.  There are exceptions for things like some big Men's Ice Hockey and Baseball programs but those are much rarer.  It is a complicated thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2014, 11:37:35 AM

Well we give art scholarships and art is just as academic as sports, at least in our mind.  Also almost all scholarship athletes are playing sports without big money coaches or any of that, it is just for the students benefit.  Typically only the Men's Basketball and Football players are blurring the lines and then only at the top 200 or so schools.  There are exceptions for things like some big Men's Ice Hockey and Baseball programs but those are much rarer.  It is a complicated thing.

If a guy on a band scholarship described himself as a professional tuba player on a resume, he would be laughed at and quite possibly have his resume thrown out for a lie/gross exagerration.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2014, 11:37:35 AM
Well we give art scholarships and art is just as academic as sports, at least in our mind.
Again I think that's quite odd from a European perspective. A slight exception is in universities with a choir - like the College Chapels in Oxbridge - where you get organ scholars who study and work part-time as the organist and sometimes musical director of the choir. Dudley Moore was one :)

But then, I don't know about Germany, but in the UK you apply to study a subject. So if you're a very good artist you might get a scholarship to study art. Whereas in the US I suppose you'd just need to get an arts scholarship and can then choose what to study?

Edit: Of course I think the big difference is because the fees are lower and, I think, there's more support for students available there's less need for scholarships at all. So there's less of them and they're not going to try and get different types of people.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 03, 2014, 11:45:27 AM
But then, I don't know about Germany, but in the UK you apply to study a subject. So if you're a very good artist you might get a scholarship to study art. Whereas in the US I suppose you'd just need to get an arts scholarship and can then choose what to study?

With a son at the beginning stages of the university admissions process I have learned a few things about the differences between the North American and UK systems.  As you say in the UK you apply to study a subject  whereas in North America students may have a particular area in mind by undergrad is more of a generalist exerience.  Those differences are reflected in the admissions process.  North American universities are very interested in "well rounded" students who will succeed in the kind of generalist programs which are offered.  In the UK prospective students are interviewed to determine whether they are a good fit for that particular subject area.

Ironically, given how this conversation has gone, music is of those areas where North American universities more closely follow the UK model as music scholarships are only given to students who show promise to become excellent musicians (many of them are in fact already excellent musicians) and who will do well in that particular program.   

QuoteEdit: Of course I think the big difference is because the fees are lower and, I think, there's more support for students available there's less need for scholarships at all. So there's less of them and they're not going to try and get different types of people.

from your perspective that is true.  But for a foreign student the cost is roughly equivalent.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Old joke.  Also applicable as bear-beaters:  NYPD, LAPD, or law enforcement agency of your choice.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
Old joke.  Also applicable as bear-beaters:  NYPD, LAPD, or law enforcement agency of your choice.

Yeah, I think I've seen an LAPD variant before.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

I believe the FBI burns down the forest.  :lol:

Josquius

Dear Microsoft,
thank you for fucking up my multi-lingual settings with your latest windows 7 update.
Signed, Angry McAngryson
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Dear Mr. McAngryson,
Why do you need multi-lingual settings when you clearly speak English?
Signed, Microsoft Intern Joe Blow
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I live in Japan. Some of my friends don't speak English.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

OMG he's killing them all!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.