News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2013, 05:59:14 AM
26 ministers? Merkel's last cabinet had 15. What do you do with the excess ministers? :unsure:

They relax for 2 years on full minister-pay and then seek jobs in the private sector, or retire. Why we have an inflation in the number of ministries I don't know, though I suspect that this time it was to appease the coalition partners request for posts.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

26 ministers? Merkel's last cabinet had 15. What do you do with the excess ministers? :unsure:

Just 26? Just 15?!

Canada's Federal Government has 39, and some of them have more than 1 ministry.
Quebec's Government has 26, also with some of them handling more than 1 ticket.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

I have some suggestions ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2013, 08:40:13 AM

I have some suggestions ...  ;)

It's always about feeding them to the giant bugs for you, isn't it?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2013, 08:35:13 PM
Well, why didn't they make it illegal?

Serious answer? It was a pre-existing use of the White dudes who wrote the laws in the first place.

There are really two recreational drugs that White folks seriously identified as part of their culture at the turn of the 20th century, when drug legislation first came into being: booze and tobacco. Of the two, booze was seen as by far the worse, tobacco as basically harmless - as drunks cause a lot more obvious trouble than smokers.

Other drugs, like pot and opium, were associated with peddlers of patent medicines (basically, fraudsters), black folks and mexicans (pot) or scary orientals (opium). All undesireable characters who ought to be crushed.

There never was any attempt to objectively measure the harms of various drugs, their addictive potential, etc. If there was, tobacco would certainly have been banned - but that was simply not politically possible where so large a percentage of the population were smokers.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2013, 08:49:39 AM
Other drugs, like pot and opium, were associated with peddlers of patent medicines (basically, fraudsters), black folks and mexicans (pot) or scary orientals (opium). All undesireable characters who ought to be crushed.

OK, I'll bite:  what were the other drugs at the turn of the 20th century that weren't pot and opium?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2013, 01:57:46 PM
Coke, Heroin.

Was cocaine and its variants really even considered a drug at the time?  I thought it was more like a "miracle ingredient" that made you all chatty and twist the end of your hair with your finger.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2013, 02:02:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2013, 01:57:46 PM
Coke, Heroin.

Was cocaine and its variants really even considered a drug at the time?  I thought it was more like a "miracle ingredient" that made you all chatty and twist the end of your hair with your finger.

They still use it for eye medication I believe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2013, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2013, 08:49:39 AM

OK, I'll bite:  what were the other drugs at the turn of the 20th century that weren't pot and opium?

Cocaine and morphine. Heroin - that was originally marketed by Bayer at the turn of the century as a cure for morphine addiction (!) and as a cough medicine (!!). 

Cocaine got a bad rep for the same reason as opiates initially - that it was peddled as a cure-all in various patent medicines, and eventually, taken up recreationally. Unlike opium or pot, it wasn't associated particularly with the whole racial issue. 

Thing is though, if one lined the drugs up and measured them objectively, tobacco would rate as deserving of being in a similar category as the very worst drugs, legally. In some respects - tobacco is notoriously mentally addictive, it's about as bad in that respect as heroin (though obviously heroin is far worse in terms of physical addiction). Also, if you are a smoker, chances are very good you will die because of it, eventually (if you are an illegal user of heroin, your chances are of course far greater of dying of an overdose or of complications from injections).

Liep

So Kim Jong-un had his uncle executed, and in the article I read about it this was little tidbid: "Earlier this year he had his ex girlfriend executed, but people speculate that it was ordered by his now girlfriend. Both women have been members of the same band."

Wtf is going on in that country? :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Was just reading about that.  Kim Jong Un just seems like a dude you don't want to ever have been very close to.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Our just appointed Foreign Minister has been called to a hearing for telling his predecessor "...so if you can't visit, then you can dream yourself away to a Cuban paradise" while giving him a Bueno Vista Social Club cd as a going away present.

The hearing is about how he can call Cuba a paradise. Yay, politics! :weep:

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

fhdz

My god, that's brilliant.
and the horse you rode in on