News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

How Shanghai changed in the last 26 years.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Why did they build a giant bong?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Pollution doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

katmai

Are you kidding, he has a stash at home, why do you think he breeds so much?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Josquius

Good things about Tokyo that you don't get elsewhere in Japan #2- pizza delivery.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

You can get a pizza delivered in just about every city, can you not? Both Fukuoka and Kobe have numerous vendors, and Fukuoka is a national oddity deprived of Pizza Hut.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 11, 2013, 06:55:57 AM
You can get a pizza delivered in just about every city, can you not? Both Fukuoka and Kobe have numerous vendors, and Fukuoka is a national oddity deprived of Pizza Hut.
OK, affordable pizza delivery I should have said.
Pizza hut and pizza LA are dear.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Are there any words in English that have two opposite meanings? 'Forfordelt' means being at a disadvantage, but it lately it has been used as having an advantage. Both meanings are now accepted in the dictionary.

We have a few words like this, it's usually a generational divide between who thinks what means what.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Tons.  I remember old people bitching back in the 80s about how the word "bad" had positive connotations among us young uns.

I know "awesome" tended to be a negative word until sometime around the 80s as well.  I'd say "sick" is a more recent one that would fit into that category as well.  Same for "special".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk