News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2013, 05:16:56 PM
They were well on the way to bringing streetcars back here in Cincy, but the new mayor is dead set against them & will order all work to cease.  There were valid arguments against the project before it started, but with all the sunk cost I think it should continue.

Don't you guys already have a lot of sunk costs in a subway?

*Pun intended
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2013, 05:35:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2013, 05:16:56 PM
They were well on the way to bringing streetcars back here in Cincy, but the new mayor is dead set against them & will order all work to cease.  There were valid arguments against the project before it started, but with all the sunk cost I think it should continue.

Don't you guys already have a lot of sunk costs in a subway?

*Pun intended

Yep.  But we got to set part of it up as a fallout shelter back in the day, so there's that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 26, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
The big thing that I notice a lot in those "then" and "now" photos, is how public transport was much more ubiquitous in the past.  Lots of what we'd call "light rail" was removed in favor of automobiles.

Well........people didn't really start owning cars, especially in Europe, in great numbers till post WW2; so the only way to really get around was using light rail.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

What I like about those pics is that the shot from 1980 is in black and white, to give it an air of "vintage." REally, I'm pretty sure they had colour film then.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 26, 2013, 05:51:42 PM
What I like about those pics is that the shot from 1980 is in black and white, to give it an air of "vintage." REally, I'm pretty sure they had colour film then.

I think even by 1980 there was a noticeable cost difference.  We have some family photos from the 70s in B&W, and I know colour film existed back then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Early-mid 70s yeah. But no one was taking b/w pics by 1980. We certainly weren't and we were poor  immigrants. ;) I know that by the mid 80s it was actually more expensive to process b/w pics. I remember having to do that for a school project, but most stores were no longer set up for that.

The Larch

My family took b/w pictures well into the 80s. Plenty of my baby pics are b/w.

11B4V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ke6wKzPwM

Bush on Leno. Actually funny.

Quote"You look much more relaxed" now, Leno told him. "No kidding ... duh!" Bush said

QuoteI dont think it's good for the country to have a former president criticize his successor.

QuoteLeno, Why is he (cat) called Bob? Bush, So I could remember how to spell it when I got older"
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

I don't think there are any pics of me in B/W.

This is the earliest one I can find. Me, 1968/69

Admiral Yi

I can't think of anything funny to say about your picture. :weep:

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2013, 09:29:56 PM
I can't think of anything funny to say about your picture. :weep:

Disappointing. :(

:D

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 26, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
The big thing that I notice a lot in those "then" and "now" photos, is how public transport was much more ubiquitous in the past.  Lots of what we'd call "light rail" was removed in favor of automobiles.

They're still around a lot in Vienna. The main reason why there's fewer of them these days is because of the subway network they started building in the 70s. E.g. Mariahilfer Straße, our main shopping street, used to be serviced by trams - completely replaced by several stops of the U3. And buses are also still plentiful. Intervals for all of them are between 3 and 5 minutes during the day. (Sometimes longer for buses or on lines in the outskirts).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Back when I lived in Lviv, trams were fun for a kid.  One time I was on a tram that derailed.  Another time I was very nearly on a tram that ran into another tram.  The four trams in front of us all crashed into one another on a blind curve, and my tram was the first one to stop short of the tram in front of it.  :mad:

DGuller