News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

A street corner in Vienna's 6th district then and now.

In many of those before/after shots you can usually recognize the buildings, but it appears they demolished a fair bit of them, not least to make the street wider (though it might just look that way due to different focal length).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Nice subject matter, but not a patch on what Oexy linked us to a while back.

Maybe if the person had shot it not on a camera phone, not at night, had taken a copy of the original photo with him and spent time composing the picture, the results would have been better ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: mongers on November 26, 2013, 12:12:40 PM

Maybe if the person had shot it not on a camera phone, not at night, had taken a copy of the original photo with him and spent time composing the picture, the results would have been better ?

:rolleyes:

The first picture is from a facebook page called "Vintage Vienna" showcasing photos from old Vienna (1800s to 1980s). In this case a guy said, "Oh, btw, I have a picture of just that corner." It was not an effort to recreate angle/position. Wiener Linien, the Vienna public transports often do that for their facebook page, though:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 26, 2013, 12:12:40 PM

So gratuitously pissy mongers.  :lol:

Caliga

I wonder why the Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations Office of International Oversight Services would have an email address at the domain 'superposta.com'? :hmm:
QuoteFrom: Ms. Carman L. Lapointe.

UNITED NATIONS OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL OVERSIGHT SERVICES

Internal Audit,Monitoring,Consulting And Investigations Division.

Attention:

My name is Ms. Carman L. Lapointe, from the United Nations. It is a distinct pleasure to write you again. As you are well aware many foreigners have invested thousands of United States Dollars into Nigeria transactions in Hopeless Dreams to have none of them become a reality.

Right now, as directed by our secretary general Mr.Ban Ki-Moon, We have agreed with the Nigeria Government that US$100,000.00 (One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) would be paid to you through the Western Union Money Transfer Via special arrangement as first installment.

This is to enable you have enough funds to pay for the Tax Clearance and bank charges before you will receive the balance of US$4.1M (Four Million One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only). Please take note that you will pay US$185 only, being Notarization fee and this is the only financial obligation that you will undertake to receive the US$100,000.00 (One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) through the Western Union Money Transfer.

Lastly,i will like you to reconfirm your information to me such as your full name, address and telephone number so that I will proceed with your Western Union Money Transfer within the next 24 hrs and the transaction information will be released to you.

I await your response for further proceedings.

Sincerely yours,

Ms. Carman L. Lapointe

E-mail: [email protected]

{Under-Secretary-General}
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

I was listening to a historical study of the Spanish Prisoner scam and its descendants, and one of the points they made was that they are deliberately made to sound dumb because they only want the most gullible to reply.  If they were realistic then they'd have to deal with many more respondents who would wise up part of the way through the correspondence.  Since they send the emails to hundreds of thousands or millions of addresses they only want those most likely to keep sending money in pursuit of the big payoff.

Caliga

Quote from: frunk on November 26, 2013, 01:48:48 PM
I was listening to a historical study of the Spanish Prisoner scam and its descendants, and one of the points they made was that they are deliberately made to sound dumb because they only want the most gullible to reply.  If they were realistic then they'd have to deal with many more respondents who would wise up part of the way through the correspondence.  Since they send the emails to hundreds of thousands or millions of addresses they only want those most likely to keep sending money in pursuit of the big payoff.
Interesting. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

I'm going to miss my Jamaican friends.

garbon

She's Canadian. Looks shifty.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2013, 01:57:10 PM
She's Canadian. Looks shifty.

You're calling "Canadians" shifty-looking? :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

The big thing that I notice a lot in those "then" and "now" photos, is how public transport was much more ubiquitous in the past.  Lots of what we'd call "light rail" was removed in favor of automobiles.

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 26, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
The big thing that I notice a lot in those "then" and "now" photos, is how public transport was much more ubiquitous in the past.  Lots of what we'd call "light rail" was removed in favor of automobiles.

I was surprised they were still around in the 1980's.  Most of those were decommissioned in the US in 1950's.  Several members of my family worked in that business.  At a family reunion I saw an old new paper where they all made the front page in some sort of racketeering scam involving street cars.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

They were well on the way to bringing streetcars back here in Cincy, but the new mayor is dead set against them & will order all work to cease.  There were valid arguments against the project before it started, but with all the sunk cost I think it should continue.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall