Food.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2013, 10:18:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2013, 10:11:36 AM

Seriously? Stop being so dense.
Seriously?  I've no idea what you mean.
Did I miss something?
Did the guy say his age was 39? The reference makes perfect sense, that was never an issue, the joke however doesn't.

He's chinese! Chinese immigrants work in Chinese restaurant as servers. #39 with Rice.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2013, 07:58:17 AM
I'm sure he was referencing ordering Chinese food.  Over here at least, it's common to order by number (since white devils are afraid to try to pronounce the Chinese name of dishes).

It's not that "white devils" can't pronounce it - they prefer you to order by number.  You can say "I'd like the chicken chow mein" and they'll reply "Okay, one #17".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I've never had anyone give me attitude when I order by name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2013, 10:46:10 AM
I'm sure he was referencing ordering Chinese food.  Over here at least, it's common to order by number (since white devils are afraid to try to pronounce the Chinese name of dishes).

It's not that "white devils" can't pronounce it - they prefer you to order by number.  You can say "I'd like the chicken chow mein" and they'll reply "Okay, one #17".

I have never ordered by number and I have never had my server say "okay #x"

makes me wonder who "they" are

Grey Fox

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 21, 2013, 10:50:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2013, 10:46:10 AM

I have never ordered by number and I have never had my server say "okay #x"

makes me wonder who "they" are

People who work at stereotypical chinese take-out places.

I'll concede that the chinese restaurant Jacob took you and I out to didn't seem like the kind of place where they had numbers on the menu, but I've been to dozens of "chinese restaurants" that operated on exactly that principle.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 21, 2013, 10:59:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2013, 10:57:33 AM
Vancouver. :rolleyes:

The city where people can order what they eat by name....

Also the city with it's own building code, insane housing prices & No skycrapers.

We get it, you have weird quirks.

PDH

Canucklefight!

Throw some crack at them to get them all riled up!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

You guys know if HDMI cables above 10 feet exist? Can't seem to find any.

Nevermind, monoprice to the rescue.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2013, 11:02:55 AM
I'll concede that the chinese restaurant Jacob took you and I out to

I am pretty sure that was a Japanese restaurant  :P

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 21, 2013, 11:57:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2013, 11:02:55 AM
I'll concede that the chinese restaurant Jacob took you and I out to

I am pretty sure that was a Japanese restaurant  :P

They all look the same to me. :P

derspiess

Was in a management meeting this morning and one newly-anointed supervisor said "documentate".  She said it more than once.  Bugged the shit out of me for the rest of the meeting, and it was one of those wonderful non-productive two-hour ones.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall