News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I listen to some far right born again christian rednecks during my morning commute, so I listen to NPR during my afternoon commute to balance it out.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

I listen to music when driving. Lately it's been all country because the rock stations I knew now play Katy Perry.  :glare:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Whats the big deal with rape?
Woah woah woah. Slow down a minute. Get off your white horse. I don't mean it that way.
I mean...of course it's bad. Its a nasty crime. But you see so many people posting about it on the internet, campaigns about it, etc...
You don't see the same kind of fuss about mugging or murder. I don't see how moaning about rape will make it go away any more than shouting at other terrible crimes will help (well, unless you do it literally to one actually in motion.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

People talk about killings and beatings on the Internet frequently.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2013, 10:46:54 AM
People talk about killings and beatings on the Internet frequently.

Yes, but CdM doesn't really mean it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2013, 10:38:40 AM
Woah woah woah. Slow down a minute. Get off your white horse. I don't mean it that way.
I mean...of course it's bad. Its a nasty crime. But you see so many people posting about it on the internet, campaigns about it, etc...
You don't see the same kind of fuss about mugging or murder. I don't see how moaning about rape will make it go away any more than shouting at other terrible crimes will help (well, unless you do it literally to one actually in motion.

The notion is that while some rapes are committed by predators beyond the reach of such campaigns, a certain amount of rape is enabled by a social climate in which certain behaviours that may lead to rape are widely accepted as more or less okay. Change the social acceptance of those behavious (so the theory goes), and you get less rapes.

The parallel here would be to drunken driving, something which has gone from basically accepted to a degree, to a serious crime.

Rape has always been considered a serious crime - under some conditions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 08:51:04 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
You probably have very little idea what my political leaning is. You focus on the parts that you disagree with, and ignore the times that I agree with you. If anything, the way that arguments are handled on Languish have probably made me seem quite a bit more "left-leaning" than I actually am. People are too busy pushing their point to actually listen to what's being said.

But then, I gave up a long time ago. Languish(tm) decides who and what a person is, and any information to the contrary is hypocrisy/ignorance/etc. *shrugs*

I believe Speesh' "somewhat" was a response to the question of NPR's objectivity. :mellow:

It's true though.

I recognize Meri as only somewhat leftist.  She's got a real moralistic streak and belief in individualism that clouds her judgment and forces her rightward.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 10:57:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2013, 10:38:40 AM

The notion is that while some rapes are committed by predators beyond the reach of such campaigns, a certain amount of rape is enabled by a social climate in which certain behaviours that may lead to rape are widely accepted as more or less okay. Change the social acceptance of those behavious (so the theory goes), and you get less rapes.

The parallel here would be to drunken driving, something which has gone from basically accepted to a degree, to a serious crime.

Rape has always been considered a serious crime - under some conditions.

Indeed.  We don't live in a Murder Culture, however unfortunate that is for us.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

I really do like this new Pope. He seems to be the most genuine Pope we've had in a very long time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/pope-francis-boy--stage-yellow-_n_4175486.html

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Enough with the pedo jokes ffs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2013, 01:39:35 PM
I really do like this new Pope. He seems to be the most genuine Pope we've had in a very long time.
What do you mean by 'genuine'?

You can have problems with Benedict but I don't think he was ever trying to be something he wasn't.

However I agree, another wonderful image from Francis. I think he may have Dawkins worried as he called him a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2013, 01:45:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2013, 01:39:35 PM
What do you mean by 'genuine'?

You can have problems with Benedict but I don't think he was ever trying to be something he wasn't.

However I agree, another wonderful image from Francis. I think he may have Dawkins worried as he called him a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' :lol:

I guess by "genuine" I mean that he lives the closest to my understanding of Jesus' message, so I guess that's maybe not the right word. He's, imo, a "true Christian" in that he practices what he preaches and lives according to Jesus' examples.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

He heads a pedo ring. Fact. End of fucking story.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I had a friend who would not quit harping on the fact that Benedict was once a member of the Hitler Youth, and seemed unable to understand this wasn't that funny since all it indicated was "he was born in the late 1920s or early 1930s in Germany" and membership after 1939 carries about as much weight as "drafted into the Wehrmacht."

Now I'm not saying he shouldn't have been dehoused.  That's an entirely different issue.
Kinemalogue