And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2013, 01:45:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2013, 01:39:35 PM
I really do like this new Pope. He seems to be the most genuine Pope we've had in a very long time.
What do you mean by 'genuine'?

You can have problems with Benedict but I don't think he was ever trying to be something he wasn't.

However I agree, another wonderful image from Francis. I think he may have Dawkins worried as he called him a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' :lol:

I imagine he's ill equipped to deal with Jesuits.  The "They are anti-science" thing doesn't carry much weight against an order who's members have advanced numerous fields of science (including evolutionary biology).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 01:52:21 PM
I had a friend who would not quit harping on the fact that Benedict was once a member of the Hitler Youth, and seemed unable to understand this wasn't that funny since all it indicated was "he was born in the late 1920s or early 1930s in Germany" and membership after 1939 carries about as much weight as "drafted into the Wehrmacht."
Yeah. I think a lot of the criticism of Benedict is unfair. I mean a huge amount of it seems to be that he's wedged between two very charismatic Popes and he's a shy academic (who in the end gave it all up to go back to his books).

But also the housing thing isn't generally described fairly - and could be spun another way. Similarly the red shoes that seem ostentatious were really just a very traditional part of Papal dress - JPI and JPII wore them on occasion and were buried in them. They symbolise the blood of martyrs following in the footsteps of Christ (literally bloodied on the Via Dolorosa) and the idea that the Pope may have to do the same.

As an aside they weren't Prada either, they're made by an Italian cobbler who first made a pair as a gift for JPII.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

You know what grinds my gears? The incredibly crappy lyrics of house "music" and similar. Completely void of meaning and written for an audience who has English as their second or third language.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

You're only supposed to listen to house music when you're X'ed out of your gourd.

Ideologue

Hey, man, everybody's free to feel good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 03:44:13 PM
You're only supposed to listen to house music when you're X'ed out of your gourd.

It is invading my personal space through the actions of Swedish superstars.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 03:46:51 PM

Robyn? :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Unemployment numbers for Technology Professionals:

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, released 10/22/13
   Computer Network Architects: 1.7%
   Software Developers, Applications and Systems Software: 2.4%
   Database Administrators (DBA): 3.6%
   Network and Computer Systems Administrators: 1.8%
   Computer and Information Systems Managers: 4.0%
   Computer Systems Analysts: 2.3%
   Information Security Analysts: 2.1%
   Computer Hardware Engineers: 1.0%
   Computer Programmers: 2.9%

:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Had a "lunch and learn" session with the local medical examiner today.

I'm normally pretty immune to death and gore on the job, but when he was talking about infants, and showing pictures of little babies with the skin peeled back on their heads to display the bruising and cracked skulls, was pretty hard for this new dad to take.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2013, 04:16:12 PM

   Computer Network Architects: 1.7%
   Software Developers, Applications and Systems Software: 2.4%
   Network and Computer Systems Administrators: 1.8%
   Computer and Information Systems Managers: 4.0%
   Computer Systems Analysts: 2.3%
   Information Security Analysts: 2.1%
   Computer Hardware Engineers: 1.0%
   Computer Programmers: 2.9%

:thumbsup:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2013, 04:20:39 PM

I'm normally pretty immune to death and gore on the job, but when he was talking about infants, and showing pictures of little babies with the skin peeled back on their heads to display the bruising and cracked skulls, was pretty hard for this new dad to take.  :(
You had me at "lunch and learn" :x
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2013, 04:20:39 PM

:hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2013, 04:16:12 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2013, 04:08:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 03:46:51 PM

Robyn? :wub:

I wish.

11B4V

:huh:

QuoteEmployee Hurt During Sex Won't Get Workers' Comp

(Newser) – In the just-so-you-know department: Getting injured while having sex on a business trip does not qualify you for workers' comp benefits. Or at least that's how things roll in Australia, where a crazy case managed to reach the nation's highest court, reports Bloomberg. It started in 2007, when a 30-something woman got hit in the face by a falling light fixture during a moment of passion with her lover in a motel room. Because her employer had booked the room, she filed for benefits and set off the legal fight.

Though a federal court ruled in her favor, Australia's High Court decreed today that the woman is out of luck, reports the Australian. "The relevant question is: Did the employer induce or encourage the employee to engage in that activity?" said the court decision. "The majority held that the answer to that question was 'no.'" The woman needed treatment at the hospital for injuries to her face, notes ABC of Australia, and she also claimed post-traumatic stress disorder.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".