News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Egypt is dark brown, though, and it's a huge (the hugest) part of Araby.

Anyway, are you sure "negligible" is what the gray means, vs. no data?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 08:21:13 PM
Helps explain why Somalis are so fucking cranky.

I hope there's a part in Captain Phillips where Tom Hanks rubs it for Skeletor that his wife can experience pleasure and therefore actually have human feelings for him.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2013, 08:21:39 PMEgypt is dark brown, though, and it's a huge (the hugest) part of Araby.
Yeah. But it is also the oldest and the bit with a most coherent independent identity.

But I'd suggest it's part of probably pre-existing Nile valley culture. Which is why many Copts still do it. The only FGM in the Arab Middle East is in Yemen (which has historic relations with East Africa) and the Kurds. It's very uncommon in Iran, Afghanistan or Pakistan.

I've no idea why but it does seem strikingly common along the Nile in Muslim and non-Muslim countries (Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia) and it's striking that Yemen has the practice is the one with a very old relationship with East Africa. It's also amazing that strip of Africa is joined in it.

QuoteAnyway, are you sure "negligible" is what the gray means, vs. no data?
According to NGOs and UNICEF in the field there's just no evidence that it's a problem in those countries. I've read that in Morocco there's some, mainly in the south (which is the more African part) but nationwide it's negligible.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

There are a lot of nasty genital mutilations out there.  Read up on subincision, for instance.  Culture might be the thing that binds us together, but it can be fucked up beyond belief too - the problem is that for those within it, it seems natural.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Ok. I started watching the snake handler show. Thanks Seedy.  :glare:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2013, 07:11:51 PM
Seems like a rude thing to ask someone about.
:yes: The proper thing to do is to check while she's looking away.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 08:29:01 PM
Rubs it for Skeletor?

Rubs it in. -_-

But you missed your opportunity: "Freudian slip, Ide?  SO THIN."
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Homeless man finds $40,000 and turns it into police.

Online fundraiser raised $150,000 to reward him. ^_^

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/glen-james-gets-huge-reward_n_4045720.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2013, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2013, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 08, 2013, 09:00:02 AM
Getting used to bifocals is more difficult than at first anticipated.....

My eye doc said I need them for contacts if I expect to read in them.  I refused.  He said he'd be there for me when I'm ready, just like all his other patients in denial.

It'll rather suddenly catch up with you, like it did around a year ago for me, now I need reading glasses and even had to use them for doing some fairly rough and ready mechanicking the other day.  :(

Yeah, it does.  One night I picked up a book and couldn't focus up close;  thought something was wrong with me or that I was having a reaction to medication or something.  Turns out I'm just old.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2013, 07:02:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 06:54:16 PM
Ask her if she still has a clitoris.

My Anthropology prof told us we should think of that as a good thing, as it elevate's the woman's status in muslim society.

And you said, "No argument there!  Clits are Slut Buttons anyway!"

Tamas

How do you call, in English, the silly tourist souvenirs you can buy, like fridge magnets with the town on it and such, and where would I go to find locally relevant ones in the UK? Gift shops?

Grey Fox

Not sure there's a word but yeah a gift shops around any touristy area will have those things, gift shops of any museum or the airport.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 07:50:42 AM
How do you call, in English, the silly tourist souvenirs you can buy, like fridge magnets with the town on it and such, and where would I go to find locally relevant ones in the UK? Gift shops?

knickknack.

I don't know, Tamas, where are you in the UK? 

If in London, they're everywhere around Tafalgar square.

If out of the smoke, maybe try the gift shops of national trust properties or English heritage sites.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 07:50:42 AM
Gift shop works. As Mongers says either London (near any train station, the Strand, Leicester Square) or a touristy site.
Let's bomb Russia!