News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Seems like a rude thing to ask someone about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2013, 07:11:51 PM
Seems like a rude thing to ask someone about.

Well, maybe if you do it while you're having sex.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 07:04:05 PM
:wacko:

Kind of made me think he was trolling the class, but if he was then he didn't know when to stop.  The females in the class were getting livid.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Was he a towelhead?

And followup question: were you conflicted?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2013, 07:06:30 PM
It occurs to me that it was stupid to put her full name up there.  I'll delete it out of my post, Could you do the same derspeiss?  Delete the name out of the part you quoted me?

Done.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 07:30:54 PM
Was he a towelhead?

And followup question: were you conflicted?

No, he was a bald, bearded dude in his 60s.  Spitting image of Freud, but dressed a bit like some teenage skater punk.  Creepy dude.  He had a theory that fathers were protective of their daughters because they wanted to have sex with them.

Ideologue

So he failed at evolutionary biology?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Again, sometimes I think he was screwing with us.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2013, 07:31:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2013, 07:06:30 PM
It occurs to me that it was stupid to put her full name up there.  I'll delete it out of my post, Could you do the same derspeiss?  Delete the name out of the part you quoted me?

Done.

Thanks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2013, 07:02:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2013, 06:54:16 PM
Ask her if she still has a clitoris.

My Anthropology prof told us we should think of that as a good thing, as it elevate's the woman's status in muslim society.

From what I've read that's only done in Africa.  Middle Eastern Muslim societies frown upon the practice.  In African Muslim countries, on the other hand, it's almost universal.

(I read that right before going to Egypt; and couldn't stop thinking about it when seeing the stewardesses on the Air Egypt flight from Cairo to Abu Simbel.  :Embarrass:)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on October 08, 2013, 08:04:45 PM
From what I've read that's only done in Africa.  Middle Eastern Muslim societies frown upon the practice.  In African Muslim countries, on the other hand, it's almost universal.
Not just among Muslims either. It's common among Copts, in Ethiopia and in both Christian and indigenous faith communities. It's relatively common in a big chunk of Africa:

By contrast it's almost unheard of in the Arab Middle East - with the exception of Yemen and among the Kurds.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Egypt isn't the "Arab Middle East"? :unsure:

Also, 90%?  Shit.  Remind me to never date anybody from Egypt.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2013, 08:16:15 PM
Egypt isn't the "Arab Middle East"? :unsure:
I meant Yemen to Turkey, but that map suggests the practice is unheard of in other bits of North Africa too :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Helps explain why Somalis are so fucking cranky.