News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:00:52 PM
I'm in a moral quagmire about orcas.  Do whales that kill whales need to be saved? :hmm:
Yes, because that makes them the coolest whales of all.  Baleen whales are lame. :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 22, 2013, 06:03:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 22, 2013, 05:20:57 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:18:12 PM
No.

Anyway, check out these fucking scumbags:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whales_of_Eden,_Australia

Heh, that's kinda cool.  :)

Just think of them as really big hunting dogs.

Yeah, Tonitrus, I'm in a moral quagmire over dogs.

Ed Anger

Try to turn on Internet set top box... Nothing. Fiddle with cords..nothing.

Try to turn on blu ray player....nothing. Fiddle with cords.... Nothing.

SONOFABITCH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

dad got into a fender bender in a parking lot. Said he saw the other car but couldn't find the brake pedal in time. :face:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

My cat fucks dogs up for breakfast.  And then grooms.

Jacob

Your moral calculus is completely fucked up, Ide, if you're fretting about Orcas hunting to eat.

lustindarkness

Ide, are you trolling or do you really believe all that crap?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2013, 06:31:23 PM
My cat fucks dogs up for breakfast.  And then grooms.

I understand the dogs, but why does your cat hold something against the guys who take care of horses?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
Larch: Yeah, but it's part of a serious question I've been considering for a long time, and seems to be something every other vegetarian ignores: if it's wrong for me to do, why is okay for something much stupider, of much less value, to do it?  "Because it's nature" is not a sufficient answer, since nature would dictate I have no limits to my behavior but physical law and rational self-interest.

"Because I can't do anything about it" is a better answer, but hardly satisfactory.

Quote from: Eddie TeachThe chance of orcas driving other whales to extinction is pretty low.

The threat of extinction is not, I expect, the primary reason cetaceans engender sympathy or for the significant unrewarded effort by humans to aid their plight.

The solution is of course, that it's not wrong for you to do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2013, 06:31:40 PM
Your moral calculus is completely fucked up, Ide, if you're fretting about Orcas hunting to eat.

Not what I said.  I said I fret about orcas killing whales.

Not all orcas do so as a habit.  Only a couple of mammal-eating populations/species.*  Other orca populations/species eat fish, which while not ideal is acceptable.  I feed my cats fish; I fret very little about that.

It has nothing to do with standards of behavior, which I understand cannot be readily cut and pasted onto non-human, somewhat stupid life forms (enforcement would be an issue if nothing else), but with a bad outcome to that behavior, i.e., dead sapient life.  If orcas ate gorillas, I'd fret too.  No matter how awesome it would be to watch.

*I understand there's some uncertainty over whether the different groups of orcas are the same species; they do not appear to interbreed, but I don't think anyone knows if they cannot interbreed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Worry about dolphins. They kill porpoises for fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I worry also about dolphins and their rape culture.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Why don't you worry about your life?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:06:29 PM
If you think whales deserve to live by dint of being intelligent/empathetic/whatever, and think human whalers ought to be swept from the seas by the USN, as I do, then you can't just ignore it when monster dolphin things kill them because they're not human.

At the same time, orcas are certainly too intellectually and morally stupid to understand when they kill other cetaceans that what they're doing is wrong.  But I don't care about intent; I care about the outcome.  If a guy with an IQ of 60 was murdering people, you'd still find a moral dimension to his slayings.

That said, as obligate carnivores of high moral value, if all orcas ate fish (a life form of significantly lower moral value), I would not have a problem.
You're stupid in so many ways here, it boggles the mind.  For one thing, having the USN doing retarded bullshit like babysitting whales is exactly the sort of thing that a chick would do.  It's like on Robocop 2, where they reprogram him with all kinds of stupid, womanish directives.

If you had retards killing even dumber retards in a pre-morality society, nobody would care.  We know this because that's exactly what happened.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.