Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2013, 08:31:13 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 21, 2013, 05:18:30 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 21, 2013, 07:34:41 AM
I just put dishwashing gel in my laundry. :Embarrass:

Oh, btw, do NOT do it the other way around.  :ph34r:

I am guessing it is sudspectacular?

No it's stealthy but it makes all your food taste like soap. There are perfumes and stuff in laundry soap and it stays on the dishes.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

I'm in a moral quagmire about orcas.  Do whales that kill whales need to be saved? :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:00:52 PM
I'm in a moral quagmire about orcas.  Do whales that kill whales need to be saved? :hmm:

They behave just as they're supposed to do, what's the moral quagmire?

Malthus

Nuke the whales. Or just nuke Wales. Not sure which.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

If you think whales deserve to live by dint of being intelligent/empathetic/whatever, and think human whalers ought to be swept from the seas by the USN, as I do, then you can't just ignore it when monster dolphin things kill them because they're not human.

At the same time, orcas are certainly too intellectually and morally stupid to understand when they kill other cetaceans that what they're doing is wrong.  But I don't care about intent; I care about the outcome.  If a guy with an IQ of 60 was murdering people, you'd still find a moral dimension to his slayings.

That said, as obligate carnivores of high moral value, if all orcas ate fish (a life form of significantly lower moral value), I would not have a problem.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:06:29 PM
If you think whales deserve to live by dint of being intelligent/empathetic/whatever, and think human whalers ought to be swept from the seas by the USN, as I do, then you can't just ignore when monster dolphin things kill them.

At the same time, they're probably too morally stupid to understand when they kill other cetaceans that what they're doing is wrong.  But I don't care about intent; I care about the outcome.

As obligate carnivores of high moral value, if all orcas are fish (a life form of significantly lower moral value), I would not have a problem.

It's a whale eat whale world out there.

Eddie Teach

The chance of orcas driving other whales to extinction is pretty low.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Larch: Yeah, but it's part of a serious question I've been considering for a long time, and seems to be something every other vegetarian ignores: if it's wrong for me to do, why is okay for something much stupider, of much less value, to do it?  "Because it's nature" is not a sufficient answer, since nature would dictate I have no limits to my behavior but physical law and rational self-interest.

"Because I can't do anything about it" is a better answer, but hardly satisfactory.

Quote from: Eddie TeachThe chance of orcas driving other whales to extinction is pretty low.

The threat of extinction is not, I expect, the primary reason cetaceans engender sympathy or for the significant unrewarded effort by humans to aid their plight.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Won't anyone think of the krill?  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

The Larch

If it makes you sleep better at night, just think that orcas don't really know better. Also, if they followed your mindset you wouldn't want to have them as competitors for junk food.

Malthus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 22, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
The threat of extinction is not, I expect, the primary reason cetaceans engender sympathy or for the significant unrewarded effort by humans to aid their plight.

It's a pretty significant factor in any wildlife conservation movement. And considering them as species rather than individuals, there's no reason not to save both.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I hope an orca gets out of its pool at Sea World, waddles its big ass up to you, and shoots you in the fucking face. 
Then it'll be a killer whale.

Tonitrus