And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2013, 11:05:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2013, 11:01:33 PM
But less useful given the multitude of named cross streets.
If you live there long enough, you know that Ocean Avenue is East 20th Street, Bedford Avenue is East 25th Street, Nostrand Avenue is East 30th Street, etc.

I'm currently spending time in Salisbury, unusually a British city built on a grid system, because it was laid out relatively recently in the mid-13th century. 

Still the natural British tendency is to make things non systematic:

:bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

That's your idea of a grid system? Dublin is more grid-like than that. And the way streets change names every couple blocks...ugh.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2013, 11:08:07 AM
That's your idea of a grid system?

Yeah, no kidding  :lol:  Not a single 90 degree angle in the whole thing.

Liep

Home again, and the neighbour is out with his alarm clock on. When is it legal to break in and smash that thing?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2013, 11:09:50 AM
That's your idea of a grid system?

Yeah, no kidding  :lol:  Not a single 90 degree angle in the whole thing.

Which is funny, because I know for a fact that even in the 13th century master builders knew what a right angle was. :D
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

http://www.360cities.net/image/heavenly-gondola-lookout-over-lake-tahoe/?from=map,39.09413,-119.78690,11#403.29,5.38,70.0

This place is always cool. Hell of a view from up there, but even in the summer you better bring a jacket. In winter, crawling with hot women skiing.

Zanza

That's your idea of a grid system? Dublin is more grid-like than that. And the way streets change names every couple blocks...ugh.
I like how Endless Street is just three blocks long.

lustindarkness

Is that a very hilly area? Even in hilly areas, a grid system can be adapted better than that. :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maladict

QuoteSalisbury is a thirteenth century medieval new town built on a settled plan or grid of five streets from east to west, and six from north to south forming "chequers" or squares. This is believed to be based on what had been the common field of the ancient parish of St Martin. A key feature in Salisbury's design was the widespread provision of running water through open watercourses along the streets. The city was planned so that water could be drawn from the Avon as it runs southwards, diverted through the town and fed back into the river as it runs from west to east, and this feature explains why the chequers – the quarters bounded by the streets – are not perfectly rectangular.

MadImmortalMan

Makes sense. You can tell that the track of Endless St./Catherine St./Queen St./St. John St./ExeterSt. ( :wacko: ) could serve exactly that purpose.

MadImmortalMan

Razgovory

Huh.  Someone I was friends with in highschool, and used to live down the street from is posting stuff from the American Freedom Party on facebook.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on August 01, 2013, 12:45:17 PM

QuoteSalisbury is a thirteenth century medieval new town built on a settled plan or grid of five streets from east to west, and six from north to south forming "chequers" or squares. This is believed to be based on what had been the common field of the ancient parish of St Martin. A key feature in Salisbury's design was the widespread provision of running water through open watercourses along the streets. The city was planned so that water could be drawn from the Avon as it runs southwards, diverted through the town and fed back into the river as it runs from west to east, and this feature explains why the chequers – the quarters bounded by the streets – are not perfectly rectangular.

Yeah, which is the water that's now flowing past my home. 
And when they replaced those city street water drains in the 19th century, the found very well preserved artifacts formed the basis for the museum I volunteer at.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2013, 01:46:38 PM
It was full of steaks.

Actually a bunch of surprisingly delicate medieval keys amongst other things.
Though I guess you could characterise them as things people dropped or that fell out of their pockets over the course of 6 centuries.  :)