And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

I'd have given her a cheap toaster from Wal-Mart.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

My response would have been something like, "Oh dear! Is that how much my boyfriend put in that envelope?? I'm so sorry. I told him to only put $25 in since you were such a bitch and we only came for the free food. Well, I suppose you can keep the extra $75 now."

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on July 05, 2013, 01:47:58 PM
In the category of things that give women a bad name:

Link

QuoteLast weekend I attended a wedding of a not-close friend with my boyfriend and as a gift we gave $100 cash. This was generous considering my financial situation. I just finished university with $40,000 in student loans, and have only found part time (12-18 hrs per week) minimum wage work. I gave as much as I could and attended to show my support.

Today I received a rude and condescending message from the bride via Facebook messenger: "Hi Tanya, how are you? I just want to know is there any reason or dissatisfaction of Mike's and I wedding that both you and Phil gave 50$ each? In terms of the amount we got from you both was very unexpected as a result we were very much short on paying off the reception because just for the cocktail + reception alone the plate per person is 200$ (as per a normal wedding range with open bar is about) and Mike and I both have already paid for everything else including decor, photography, attire etc and didn't expect we had to cover that huge amount for reception as well. As I know you both live together and work, so I did not see any reason for that amount, when it comes to your wedding hopefully you'll know what I mean. I hope for the best as from what we receive is what we will give back. Anyways, good luck on everything." [all sic]

It's infuriating that she had the nerve to make assumptions about my finances, and assume that I or my boyfriend had an extra $400 lying around. Those $100 were hard-earned and she didn't show an ounce of gratitude for what she did receive. That money didn't grow on a tree. If she had a minimum gift requirement, she should have specified it...or asked everyone for income statements before inviting them.

Did this happen?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I thought $50 was probably the 'going rate' for a not-closely-related wedding gift.

Despite being his best man, I didn't give my brother anything.  He just got the pleasure of our company. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2013, 01:55:21 PM
I thought $50 was probably the 'going rate' for a not-closely-related wedding gift.

Despite being his best man, I didn't give my brother anything.  He just got the pleasure of our company. :)
Same, and my brother  and sister-in-law didn't complain one bit. :D

Caliga

Ed Anger

I'll wear a black Das Reich t-shirt to the shoot. MAH GENOCIDE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on July 05, 2013, 01:57:53 PM

to your face :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2013, 12:55:00 PM
If I ever go to Kentucky I'll more than happily join a visit to a gun range. It'll have at least anthropological value.  :lol:

I wouldn't mind a visit either.

katmai

@ Larch and Iorm, hope you can squeal like i pig.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on July 05, 2013, 06:23:40 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 05, 2013, 01:57:53 PM

to your face :P
I got my brother the exact same thing he got me for my wedding. :showoff:

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2013, 05:26:03 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 04, 2013, 03:37:56 PM
Jesus fucking Christ. What is wrong with all you people.
Bad genes, anger, fear and having too much time on my hands.

I'm going to avoid breeding so as to not pass the genes on.  Eugenics is the only way forward.

High five.  I'm doing the same thing.

Kin selection is a valid reproductive strategy, even they're distant cousins.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on July 04, 2013, 09:50:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2013, 12:44:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2013, 11:27:04 PM
I don't like sparkling water. :(

It's not that hard a taste to acquire. What is it you like about soda? Is it a sugar addiction thing?

I drink Diet. As for what I like about it, it's hard to explain.

Diet tastes better, and "cleaner," than regular syrupy soda.

Although it is a mark of high First Worldness to buy a food product with zero caloric content, I do buy generic, because paying for name brands is paying for 1)the preposterous advertising campaigns run by established corporations, Coca-Cola in particular, so entrenched in the public consciousness that "coke" is synonymous with soda in many places and 2)in all honesty an inferior product.  Them Waltons make a fine soda upon the backs of their mistreated workers. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Meri's bridezilla is so over the top I suspect it's a prank.