News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 11:06:18 AM
My giant snake has certainly opened a number of doors.

Even a reptile will learn to escape eventually, if faced with sufficient abuse.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2013, 11:09:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 11:06:18 AM
My giant snake has certainly opened a number of doors.

Even a reptile will learn to escape eventually, if faced with sufficient abuse.
:lol:

The Larch

Admiral Yi

The Men's Warehouse guy got fired by his own company.

CountDeMoney

You're going to like the way you look unemployed.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 06:17:56 PM
You're going to like the way you look unemployed.

You're going to like the way your shareholder value looks?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 20, 2013, 06:19:52 PM
You're going to like the way your shareholder value looks?

QuoteMen's Wearhouse gave no reason for the abrupt firing of Zimmer, who built Men's Wearhouse from one small Texas store using a cigar box as a cash register to one of the North America's largest specialty men's clothiers with 1,143 locations. The company generated revenue of $2.48 billion in its latest fiscal year ended Feb. 2.

"Over the last 40 years, I have built MW into a multi-billion dollar company with amazing employees and loyal customers who value the products and service they receive at MW," Zimmer told CNBC. "Over the past several months I have expressed my concerns to the Board about the direction the company is currently heading. Instead of fostering the kind of dialogue in the Boardroom that has in part contributed to our success, the Board has inappropriately chosen to silence my concerns through termination as an executive officer."

The news shocked analysts and corporate governance experts, who tried to speculate what happened.

LOL, "corporate governance experts".  That's up there with "Kremlinologists".  Paid to throw darts at a board and guess.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 06:25:49 PM
one small Texas store

I wonder if he ever hung with Kinky Friedman.

The Brain

It's probably about some chick.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Well, they really aren't making Jews like Jesus anymore.

The Brain

Phillip V

I could easily build a multibillion-dollar company starting with one small Texas store using a cigar box as a cash register.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 12:24:00 PM
Had an interesting yet kind of a weird conversation with my wife's co-worker the other day.  She's from Bosnia-- her family came here in the 90s as refugees from Mostar.  Her dad was actually in a concentration camp for a period of time.  She acted a little odd when I asked her ethnicity (though I guess I struggled to find a way to ask that gently) & just said she was from a 'mixed ethnic' family-- I'm guessing she was more or less Bosniak.  She seemed to think that her parents having been communist party members was the reason they were bullied and oppressed during the war, rather than their ethnicity.

Anyway, she seemed surprised (if not a bit freaked out) that I knew as much as I did about Bosnia and the wars.  So I didn't want it to feel like an interrogation.  Hope to extract more info & anecdotes next time I talk to her.  I've only ever met a handful of people from that rather fascinating part of the world.

HEY HOW WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ETHNIC CLEANSING AND MASS MURDER WHAT I'M CURIOUS?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Quote from: Ideologue on June 20, 2013, 06:46:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 12:24:00 PM
Had an interesting yet kind of a weird conversation with my wife's co-worker the other day.  She's from Bosnia-- her family came here in the 90s as refugees from Mostar.  Her dad was actually in a concentration camp for a period of time.  She acted a little odd when I asked her ethnicity (though I guess I struggled to find a way to ask that gently) & just said she was from a 'mixed ethnic' family-- I'm guessing she was more or less Bosniak.  She seemed to think that her parents having been communist party members was the reason they were bullied and oppressed during the war, rather than their ethnicity.

Anyway, she seemed surprised (if not a bit freaked out) that I knew as much as I did about Bosnia and the wars.  So I didn't want it to feel like an interrogation.  Hope to extract more info & anecdotes next time I talk to her.  I've only ever met a handful of people from that rather fascinating part of the world.

HEY HOW WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ETHNIC CLEANSING AND MASS MURDER WHAT I'M CURIOUS?

Impolite.

The Brain

Yes you don't shout at people.