News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 12:24:00 PM
Had an interesting yet kind of a weird conversation with my wife's co-worker the other day.  She's from Bosnia-- her family came here in the 90s as refugees from Mostar.  Her dad was actually in a concentration camp for a period of time.  She acted a little odd when I asked her ethnicity (though I guess I struggled to find a way to ask that gently) & just said she was from a 'mixed ethnic' family-- I'm guessing she was more or less Bosniak.  She seemed to think that her parents having been communist party members was the reason they were bullied and oppressed during the war, rather than their ethnicity.

Anyway, she seemed surprised (if not a bit freaked out) that I knew as much as I did about Bosnia and the wars.  So I didn't want it to feel like an interrogation.  Hope to extract more info & anecdotes next time I talk to her.  I've only ever met a handful of people from that rather fascinating part of the world.

I was thinking about starting a thread on the war crimes trials related to the disintegration of yugoslavia. They seem to be somewhat adrift, and I don't remember discussing it here.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 12:24:00 PMI've only ever met a handful of people from that rather fascinating part of the world.

Come to Vienna. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 12:24:00 PM
Had an interesting yet kind of a weird conversation with my wife's co-worker the other day.  She's from Bosnia-- her family came here in the 90s as refugees from Mostar.  Her dad was actually in a concentration camp for a period of time.  She acted a little odd when I asked her ethnicity (though I guess I struggled to find a way to ask that gently) & just said she was from a 'mixed ethnic' family-- I'm guessing she was more or less Bosniak.  She seemed to think that her parents having been communist party members was the reason they were bullied and oppressed during the war, rather than their ethnicity.

Anyway, she seemed surprised (if not a bit freaked out) that I knew as much as I did about Bosnia and the wars.  So I didn't want it to feel like an interrogation.  Hope to extract more info & anecdotes next time I talk to her.  I've only ever met a handful of people from that rather fascinating part of the world.

Be careful you western people have no idea about the Balkan sensibilities. Eg.  Never ask her if she is a gypsy :p

Syt

WTF is Merkel wearing?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Those aren't just pants; those are SUPERPANTS
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Oh sure if a male politician wore giant fluffy pants nobody would bat an eye but because women are solely judged by their appearance...

ok nevermind pretty sure people would notice if Obama was wearing giant fluffy pants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2013, 01:07:33 PM
WTF is Merkel wearing?

Some kind of hideous GIANT offspring of business casual and bell-bottom pants?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Michelle looks mannish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I find Merkel's outfit Star Warsian.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2013, 01:09:34 PM
Oh sure if a male politician wore giant fluffy pants nobody would bat an eye but because women are solely judged by their appearance...

ok nevermind pretty sure people would notice if Obama was wearing giant fluffy pants.

You could hide a whole other Merkel in those pants.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

Can't touch this!

DGuller

Maybe she's carrying a bazooka in an ankle holster, and wearing loose clothing to conceal it?

fhdz

Quote from: Iormlund on June 19, 2013, 01:17:49 PM

Can't touch this!

:D
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain