News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Merkel's most hilarious quote during Obama's visit might have been, though, that "the internet is a new territory for everyone."

Which is oddly matching the tone of her speech at the opening of the world's largest computer fair in Hanover earlier this year.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Stephen Colbert's mother died and I think he gave a nice tribute, although it was a bit strange that he tried to stay in character even for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeIdryxyQ80

CountDeMoney

QuoteGeneral McChrystal Gives Police Airtight Alibi In Rolling Stone Reporter's Mysterious Death
120  |   20 June 2013   |  by Courtney Massengale

ALEXANDRIA,  VA – Retired General Stanley McChrystal has been questioned by authorities in the mysterious death of journalist Michael Hastings, sources confirmed Wednesday. Hastings was best known for a 2010 Rolling Stone article which led to McChrystal's resignation and retirement.

According to investigators, McChrystal was hosting a dinner party at his Alexandria home when Hastings was killed in a car accident in Los Angeles. Attendees at the dinner included prominent defense contractors, professors, and think-tank analysts.

"We had just finished the pork loin when Wadsworth, the butler, came up to Stanley with a silver tray," said Lesley Scarlet, a graduate student of Yale University. "Stan read the note on the tray and rose to make an announcement. He looked somber and gave a gracious tribute to Mr. Hastings, then offered a toast. Things were understandably awkward, but we continued."

"You could really tell Stan was all broken up over the whole thing," said Michael Green, a defense contractor with Boeing.

Hastings is the latest in a string of reporters who have gone missing or died under mysterious circumstances. None of the incidents have been tied to McChrystal, despite his obvious motive and extensive background in special operations.

"I can confirm that Gen. McChrystal was an individual of interest that we questioned in relation to the death of Mr. Hastings," said Alexandria Police spokesman Col. Allen Mustard. "We responded to a request by the Los Angeles Police Department, but at no time was Gen. McChrystal a suspect."

Col. Mustard confirmed that "multiple witnesses" were able to corroborate McChrystal's alibi that the General was "in the dining room, with Mr. Green, Professor Plum and Ms. Scarlet" when the accident took place.
"We have verified the alibi by peeking in the folder sent to us from Los Angeles and have no reason to believe Gen. McChrystal was in any way involved in this incident. I've done what you asked, please, just don't hurt my kids."

General McChrystal gave a brief statement to the media outside his home. Reporters gathered outside were asked to move "a little to the left, closer to the large X in the lawn" prior to McChrystal answering any questions.

"Mike's untimely death was unfortunate. I'm sure the entire world of journalism is saddened to see such a promising career end so suddenly. He was doing just fine and probably had a lot more to give to the profession. Now he can't do anything about the issues very important people may have told him in confidence and off-the-record."

When asked about his well-timed dinner party, McChrystal, dressed in a Nehru jacket and holding a cat, thanked his guests "for being honest with the authorities since we all know what happens when we tell the wrong people the wrong things."

McChrystal ended the news conference by stating he was late for a meeting of his new venture capitol firm D.A.G.G.E.R.

As if on cue, a black helicopter piloted by Jeffrey Sinclair descended from the sky, whisking McChrystal and his cat towards Crystal City.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 08:15:15 AM
“We had just finished the pork loin when Wadsworth, the butler, came up to Stanley with a silver tray,” said Lesley Scarlet, a graduate student of Yale University. “Stan read the note on the tray and rose to make an announcement. He looked somber and gave a gracious tribute to Mr. Hastings, then offered a toast. Things were understandably awkward, but we continued.”

WTF?  I guess General McChrystal lives at Downton Abbey?  And his butler really is named Wadsworth? :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 08:21:23 AM
WTF?  I guess General McChrystal lives at Downton Abbey?  And his butler really is named Wadsworth? :lol:

I'd want one named Buskers.  Just so I can say, "I was telling my man Buskers just that this very morning..."

The Brain

I want a female slave. Not named Buskers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 08:37:03 AM
I want a female slave. Not named Buskers.

You can name your female dog anything you want, mate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 08:44:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2013, 08:43:00 AM
WTF was that?  :huh:

What was what?

Guller's from Russia so not used to powerful figures needing an alibi when they have some journalist killed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Maybe he should get a clue.

DGuller

I thought it was a bad attempt at The Onion article.  :blush:

Malthus

Some people should just not be allowed to own pets - particularly pets like this:

http://screen.yahoo.com/giant-snake-open-doors-224009351.html

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

My giant snake has certainly opened a number of doors.