News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on June 14, 2013, 12:03:45 PM
Monocle's list of best cities to live in places Copenhagen first again after a short hiatus. :yeah:

1 Copenhagen (3)
2 Melbourne (6)
3 Helsinki (2)
4 Tokyo (7)
5 Vienna (4)
6 Zürich (1)
7 Stockholm (10)
8 Munich (5)
9 Sydney (8)
10 Auckland (9)
11 Hong Kong (13)
12 Fukuoka (12)
13 Kyoto (11)
14 Paris (14)
15 Singapore (15)
16 Hamburg (16)
17 Honolulu (17)
18 Madrid (20)
19 Vancouver (19)
20 Berlin (18)
21 Barcelona (21)
22 Amsterdam (not ranked)
23 Portland (22)
24 San Francisco (23)
Fukuoka is awesome. Really wish I'd known more about Japan before I came and I could have went there.
It's got the hottest girls and the best ramen in the country, it feels like a real mid-sized city, and there are very few foreigners there.
Odd to see Kyoto on the list however. That strikes me as a rather horrible place to live with the entire place being a big tourist spot.
Tokyo of course shits all over London in the best huge city contest.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2013, 10:40:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM
From an Economist article about the Spanish language, the interesting observation that Spanish is widely studied as a second language in only three countries: the US, Brazil, and France.
One of my best students (one of the finalists I was talking about) wants to be a diplomat. She plans on studying Spanish in University. It'll pretty much guarantee her a job.

Because practically nobody else in Korea studies it?

Spanish does generally seem an overly rare language to learn. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Josephus on June 10, 2013, 05:17:44 PM
Apparently a Blue Jays baseball game went 18 innings a few days ago. Just the thought of it puts me to sleep.

I saw the last 4 innings of that game.  On the same day at the same time slot the Mets/Marlins game also went 18 innings.

Phillip V

Today is Father's Day, which means we must honor the Father of His Country. Here is Washington lecturing a Frenchman in the early days of the French Revolution...

"The little anecdote which you recall to mind, My dear Count, of your Countrymen at Rhode Island who burnt their mouths with the hot soup, while mine waited leisurely for it to cool, perhaps, when politically applied in the manner you have done, has not less truth than pleasantry in its resemblance of national characters. But if there shall be no worse consequence resulting from too great eagerness in swallowing something so delightful as liberty, than that of suffering a momentary pain or making a ridiculous figure with a scalled mouth; upon the whole it may be said you Frenchmen have come off well, considering how immoderately you thirsted for the cup of liberty. And no wonder as you drank it to the bottom, that some licentiousness should have been mingled with the dregs."

– George Washington, letter to Comte de Rochambeau, New York, August 10, 1790

CountDeMoney

He wasn't just any Frenchman.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2013, 06:19:12 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 14, 2013, 06:15:55 PM
I'm talking about flirting, not dating.

I'm inherently and immediately distrustful of anybody that tries to flirt with me.  Somebody's always trying to work an angle.  Go find another sucker, lady.

:yes:

katmai

And baron makes my point for me. Thanks moldy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

man, picking a new computer hasn't gotten easier over the years, seriously. Too many choices nowadays & new brands I've never heard of.

ASrock motherboards? G.Skill rams?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

None of those are new. I actually have an Asrock in this box.

fhdz

Quote from: Phillip V on June 16, 2013, 10:14:17 AM
Today is Father's Day, which means we must honor the Father of His Country.

No it doesn't.
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 16, 2013, 02:20:13 PM
man, picking a new computer hasn't gotten easier over the years, seriously. Too many choices nowadays & new brands I've never heard of.

The answer to what computer to buy has been as simple as it ever has been.  There's only one brand you need to know. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM
From an Economist article about the Spanish language, the interesting observation that Spanish is widely studied as a second language in only three countries: the US, Brazil, and France.

Spanish is indeed overrated in France, except perhaps in the East namely Elsass-Mosel. Should have studied it as a third language because that's not exactly difficult. German is way more useful professionnally but is seen as difficult by most French people who think Spanish is easier. Grammar yes, but not pronunciation and stress (same issues as German).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 12:10:47 AM

The answer to what computer to buy has been as simple as it ever has been.  There's only one brand you need to know. -_-

:lol: good one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2013, 12:10:47 AM

HP? Dell? Acer? Asus? Alienware? You'll need to be more specific!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I had the most amazing salsa today - starts hot and then finishes nice and sweet.  Its made in Texas.  So now there are three things to appreciate from that State.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017