Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I thought it was a branch of rhetoric.

DGuller

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on June 10, 2013, 06:47:07 PM
Programming is a bit of an odd choice if you hate math. :huh:

After two classes, it's been pure logic with minimal math. I love logic. I hate math. I recognize that I'm going to have to do some math, but I'm going to bitch when I do. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2013, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 10, 2013, 05:00:23 PM
What was the consensus?
My consensus was that changing a tire by yourself is stupid and dangerous in NYC.  Plus, this time I was covered for a free change.  If the first guy would've found the lug nut key, I would've been on my way quicker, and with less crush injuries, than if I attempted to change the tire myself.

I was mainly just giving you crap about changing the tire...but still, if I had locking lugnuts, I'd have gotten the key myself and had it ready by the time the tow truck showed up.

But, hindsight and all that, of course.

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on June 10, 2013, 06:48:30 PM

She's a woman, so you expected her to use logic? :rolleyes:

HA
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

The Tor browser for iPad is awesome.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2013, 07:38:59 PM
I was mainly just giving you crap about changing the tire...but still, if I had locking lugnuts, I'd have gotten the key myself and had it ready by the time the tow truck showed up.

But, hindsight and all that, of course.
Yeah, I learned many lessons last night.  But not finding that key was just one of those really, really stupid things that happen, and that you can't explain why they happened.  Sometimes things just hide in plain sight.  It's not like we didn't spend a whole lot of time looking for that fucking key together.  Actually, I was stopped right across a bar, so I had a curious onlooker help the two of us as well to look for that key.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on June 10, 2013, 07:05:44 PM

After two classes, it's been pure logic with minimal math. I love logic. I hate math. I recognize that I'm going to have to do some math, but I'm going to bitch when I do. :P
:hmm: I don't think you're going to like the algorithm complexity class.

derspiess

Math is man's territory.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Decision maths is a very different thing to trigonometry and all that really horrible stuff.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2013, 09:49:16 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2013, 10:59:32 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 07, 2013, 12:40:40 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2013, 12:10:16 AM
Sure.  I'd rather be at my house getting waited on by my slaves than doing my job, too.

I imagine the point of quoting that bit is to suggest Washington didn't care too much for power or politics.

I'd say that it's more indicative that he was an introvert than anything else.

I think he may have been playing to the convention of the time that powerful men did not want power but instead took it as an obligation. Washington made a lot of comments along those lines, but then he ended up at the center of the fray quite a bit in his life. The same thing happens when every pope says he really didn't want to be pope.
He did set the two term precedent when he was under no obligation to.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2013, 05:21:39 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 10, 2013, 04:08:26 PM
We give out 12, 10, 7, 4, 02 (passed), 00 (failed), and -03. Supposedly this corresponds better with the ECTS scale than our earlier 13-scale (13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 03, 00)

:wacko: WTF

fuck that's confusing. What's wrong with percentages?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2013, 08:17:52 PM
:hmm: I don't think you're going to like the algorithm complexity class.

I don't have to take it. :)

Part of why I'm taking this certificate instead of dealing with the whole degree thing. Saves me from having to take all the math.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

FFS I wanted to be nice, didn't know you primitives skip the "E" when you rate shit :P

I got a 2. On a scale where 5 is best and 1 means you failed. There.