News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 25, 2013, 01:41:22 AM
I'm not sure how that picture could be seriously considered to be in "poor taste" to a serious person.

Okay well I'm being serious. I think it seems, though I understand not the intent, like a mockery of the original.  Particularly when the chief mourner is a villain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Grabon, I think the whole point is that Darth looks honestly bummed in that picture. 

Ideologue

Ugh.  Well, it turns out I can do my job and my boss's job, if I spend 16 hours doing it.  I guess that Dartmouth education amounts to something after all.  Actually, given she works like 70-80 hour weeks, maybe not.  Hope they don't promote me. :bleeding:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

The original I believe.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

Quote from: 11B4V on May 25, 2013, 01:57:24 AM
The original I believe.

Yep.  Is that based on a "real"photograph or is that an original work of art?

I suppose I could understand people thinking it was in poor taste if an actual photograph of an actual person was altered like that*, but I just can't see how anyone could get upset about an original work of art (that most people probably would never recognize) being altered.

*Though a version of the classic Iwo Jima flag raising photo with Imperial Stormtroopers raising a flag over the base at Hoth would be pretty funny.

Ideologue

Captain Sheridan remembers those who fell in the Shadow War.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

I know it was a painting. Whether a specific photo inspired the artist, I dont know. But the Star Wars one you posted, doesnt really bother me. More like..meh..how unimaginative.

But the original painting is very powerful IMO.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

LOL.  Believe it or not, I hadn't even read the previous page and had no idea why that painting was being posted. :D
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2013, 02:22:39 AM
LOL.  Believe it or not, I hadn't even read the previous page and had no idea why that painting was being posted. :D

It happens in the OTT thread. :P

Ideologue

Bruce Boxleitner would've won Vietnam.  He fights for the users.
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2013, 02:26:54 AM

OK  :lol:. Only thing I know him from is that stupid Babylon 5 show.

Eddie Teach

Warning: Attack Eminent

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on May 25, 2013, 02:31:59 AM

What? Never watched Scarecrow and Mrs King?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2013, 02:50:25 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 25, 2013, 02:31:59 AM

What? Never watched Scarecrow and Mrs King?
Naw.