News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zeus

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2013, 12:32:39 AM
You have to admire someone with such strength of convictions.  The world would be a better place if more people were like him.

Better = scarier?
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

CountDeMoney

That Waffle Taco looks absolutely beautiful.

garbon

Quote from: Zeus on May 22, 2013, 05:29:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2013, 12:32:39 AM
You have to admire someone with such strength of convictions.  The world would be a better place if more people were like him.

Better = scarier?

What would be scarier about bigots killing themselves?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

All this talk of homophobia has caused me to reflect on my boy's reaction to the homosexual relationship in the movie Atlas Cloud we saw on the weekend.  My youngest did react to it but not in the way you might think.  I will put his reaction in spoiler quotes for those of you who havent seen the movie. His issue was [spoiler]he didnt understand why the music writer killed himself when his boyfriend was right there and they were in love. [/spoiler]  It didnt hit me before but after reading about the guy killing himself in Paris I think it is striking that the fact that it was a gay relationship didnt register with my son as being at all unusual or worthy of comment.

MadBurgerMaker

Just set up my U-verse install for this Friday.  The DirecTV lady sounded sad when I called to have my service cancelled on Saturday.

Sorry dear, but I get way more channels + faster intertubes (bonus: I won't be paying Time Warner for anything anymore) + the same phone for like $50 less/month for two years, then right about the same amount after the special rates go away.  Also, they're giving me $200 in those Visa gift cards as a bribe and all my up front fees were waived.   :)

From what I understand, the HD picture isn't as good as DirecTV though.  I can bail after a year and go back to DTV if I can't stand it.

derspiess

One of these days Cincinnati Bell will get their fiberoptics service to my street.  I'm guessing sometime in the 2020s.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I didn't notice a difference in the picture quality, FWIW.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 22, 2013, 08:54:08 PM
I didn't notice a difference in the picture quality, FWIW.

I've never noticed anything particularly bad about it the (admittedly very) few times I've seen it, it's just something I've read several different places on THE INTERNET. I'm not too worried about it.

Do you have their Internet service too?

MadImmortalMan

Yep. It's the most reliable internet connection I've ever had too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Doesn't matter if it's satellite, FIOS or cable;  it's all compressed down the pipeline, so you're getting ripped off anyway.

CountDeMoney

Oh, and Detective Benson is in a fucking world of hurt now.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 09:25:29 PM
Why, what happened?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2013, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 09:25:29 PM
Why, what happened?

Tune in next week for Part II!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 09:25:10 PM
Doesn't matter if it's satellite, FIOS or cable;  it's all compressed down the pipeline, so you're getting ripped off anyway.

Shareholder value?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall