News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Btw, why do we have a swiss smiley?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

A TP shortage is an acceptable risk to have 50ยข/liter gas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

You can't wipe your ass with gas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

You could.

A TP shortage, what no more trees in Ven? :D
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2013, 09:00:30 AM
You could.

A TP shortage, what no more trees in Ven? :D

Though people might TP a tree, there aren't trees where tp just comes down fully formed.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on May 16, 2013, 09:34:18 AM
Because he doesn't have a tp shortage. :contract:

I'm sure he keeps an 8 to 12 month stock in the basement.

Btw, you liked my SongPop category, hermano? :hug:  Took me forever to figure out how to change the default country when buying new genres, but it finally paid off, if at least for just one blissful round.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fucking Argie rock bullshit.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

Rise in Suicides Plagues the U.S. Military

'Over the course of nearly 12 years and two wars, suicide among active-duty troops has risen steadily, hitting a record of 350 in 2012. That total was twice as many as a decade before and surpassed not only the number of American troops killed in Afghanistan but also the number who died in transportation accidents last year.

Even with the withdrawal from Iraq and the pullback in Afghanistan, the rate of suicide within the military has continued to rise significantly faster than within the general population, where it is also rising. In 2002, the military’s suicide rate was 10.3 per 100,000 troops, well below the comparable civilian rate. But today the rates are nearly the same, above 18 per 100,000 people.

And according to some experts, the military may be undercounting the problem because of the way it calculates its suicide rate.

Yet though the Pentagon has commissioned numerous reports and invested tens of millions of dollars in research and prevention programs, experts concede they are little closer to understanding the root causes of why military suicide is rising so fast.
An emerging consensus among researchers is that, just as among civilians, a dauntingly complex web of factors usually underlie military suicide: mental illness, sexual or physical abuse, addictions, failed relationships, financial struggles. Indeed, the most recent Pentagon report of suicides found that half of the troops who killed themselves in 2011 had experienced the failure of an intimate relationship and about a quarter had received diagnoses of substance abuse.
Yet deployment and combat by themselves cannot explain the spiking suicide rates, researchers say. Pentagon data show that in recent years about half of service members who committed suicide never deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. And more than 80 percent had never been in combat.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/us/baffling-rise-in-suicides-plagues-us-military.html

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on May 16, 2013, 10:01:09 AM
But today the rates are nearly the same, above 18 per 100,000 people.

That hardly sounds like a plague of suicides.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2013, 10:08:50 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 16, 2013, 10:01:09 AM
But today the rates are nearly the same, above 18 per 100,000 people.

That hardly sounds like a plague of suicides.

plague of rise in suicides

And the numbers do not include Army Reserve + National Guard, which sometimes have more monthly suicides than Regular Army.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2013, 08:57:20 AM

I think it's because a) the Swiss are generally awesome and b) wasn't Hamilcar Swiss? Somebody who used to post here a lot was Swiss.
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on May 16, 2013, 11:03:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2013, 08:57:20 AM

I think it's because a) the Swiss are generally awesome and b) wasn't Hamilcar Swiss?

Correct on both counts.