News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2013, 12:16:55 PM
About a year ago I opened the front door to throw spent coffee grounds into the yard and a fucking mockingbird flew right into my face and then into the house behind me.  It took me like 10 minutes to get the fucking thing to fly back outside. :mad:
You should've killed it.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2013, 11:51:22 AM
Map of density of racist and homophobic tweets in the US.

http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#

I didn't know that mid-westerners were so angry.
Normalization is everything in these kinds of maps.  The title being "total tweets" makes me less hopeful that it was done properly.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2013, 12:20:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 12:00:28 PM
I like how it looks a lot less "hate"-ful if you zoom in.

Whereas if you zoom out, all of the eastern half of the country is hateful. :D

Exactly.  Makes you think there's rioting, pogroms, etc. all throughout the east.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2013, 12:08:31 PM
Last evening I was out for a run, going along peacefully, and WHAM! A bird flew into my face. It came in from the side and hit me in the cheek/edge of my mouth.

It was a small bird, I didn't get a good look at it, it could have been a bat. Has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I've never heard of something like this before.

Been hit in the face by a bat before and had a couple of other glancing blows off them. Not unusual around here, plus the occasional close call with deer.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Last evening I was out for a run, going along peacefully, and WHAM! A bird flew into my face. It came in from the side and hit me in the cheek/edge of my mouth.

It was a small bird, I didn't get a good look at it, it could have been a bat. Has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I've never heard of something like this before.

I have been dive-bombed by a mockingbird a couple times.

MadImmortalMan

We got a visit by one of these guys last night.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 13, 2013, 06:09:18 PM

I have been dive-bombed by a mockingbird a couple times.

No you were being mocked.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

What exactly is the done thing with starting and ending job application letters?
Obviously the initial one is dear yadda, yours sincerely, me. But subsequent messages? Just feels really strange and artificial to go to the whole effort of
Dear Mr someone,
Yes, 3 o'clock is OK
Yours Sincerely,
My full name
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

What did Mr. Someone say in his email?

sbr

Why are you sending a letter to confirm an appointment?

11B4V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2013, 06:09:19 PM
We got a visit by one of these guys last night.

Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend of Jack.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 09:01:57 PM

Red on yellow, red on black, kill every goddamn one of them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

So you just copy their format?

Quote from: sbr on May 13, 2013, 09:00:07 PM
So they know its OK?
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: PDH on May 13, 2013, 09:07:52 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 09:01:57 PM

Red on yellow, red on black, kill every goddamn one of them.
:lol:
Ahh, but he's so cute
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2013, 09:09:50 PM
So you just copy their format?

Quote from: sbr on May 13, 2013, 09:00:07 PM
So they know its OK?

It seems safest to just copy their format.

Are we talking an actual handwritten letter with a stamp and delivered by the post office, or an email?

I would assume emails are a touch less formal.