The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2013, 08:01:06 AM
:lol: Why?

There's two choices for each word, and I always seem to get them wrong. :P

Клал or Положил??!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2013, 08:53:41 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2013, 07:35:44 AM
I've decided I don't care much for the past tense in Russian.

It's the simplest part of verb conjugation.  It'd be great if everything happened in the past tense in Russian.

The conjugating, yes. But my problem is deciding between imperfective or perfective. As in, how to translate "I was sitting at home and watching television, when the phone suddenly rang. It was my mother who called."
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Oh man.  That's not past tense's fault...that's the fault of the weird Russian idea of whether a particular object "stands" on something, or "lies" on something.

Sort of like what kind of location uses "на" and which uses "в", when you're going to/into it.

Liep

Yes, that's annoying too. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2013, 08:58:01 AM

It's the simplest part of verb conjugation.  It'd be great if everything happened in the past tense in Russian.

The conjugating, yes. But my problem is deciding between imperfective or perfective. As in, how to translate "I was sitting at home and watching television, when the phone suddenly rang. It was my mother who called."

Avoid Romance languages too then cf. imparfait vs passé simple/passé composé.  :frog:

katmai

Jesus Liep, less time on ruskie, more time making babies to satisfy your mother.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2013, 08:58:01 AM

Sitting and watching would be imperfective, because they are indefinite processes(even though they happened in the past).  The ringing phone would be perfective (it happened once and was done), as would be mom calling.

It could be worse...the sitting and watching could also be formed as past active participles.  :P

Liep

Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2013, 09:02:59 AM
Jesus Liep, less time on ruskie, more time making babies to satisfy your mother.

Must those two be mutually exclusive?

katmai

So you are learning Russian to pick up hot girls, got it!

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2013, 09:09:21 AM

I should be trying that... :hmm:

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2013, 09:04:26 AM
Sitting and watching would be imperfective, because they are indefinite processes(even though they happened in the past).  The ringing phone would be perfective (it happened once and was done), as would be mom calling.

It could be worse...the sitting and watching could also be formed as past active participles.  :P

I'll just avoid the participles for now. ;) So "Однажды, когда я сидел дома и смотрел телевизор, телефон вдруг позвонил. Это выла моя старая мама, которая позвонила."?

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2013, 09:13:38 AM

you could have been doing that here, since we can see Russia and all that..

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2013, 09:13:38 AM

From a test pool of one I can say that 80% of Ruskie classes at Uni are chicks.

Josquius

Grammar language makes me cry.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2013, 09:15:48 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2013, 09:04:26 AM

I'll just avoid the participles for now. ;) So "Однажды, когда я сидел дома и смотрел телевизор, телефон вдруг позвонил. Это была моя старая мама, которая позвонила."?

I am pretty sure "позвонить" is mostly used if you are "calling" someone.  A "ringing" phone probably uses a different prefix.  And google tells me it's зазвонить...  :P

Picking the right prefixes are another mess unto themselves.  :D