News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

whats the big deal with all the N-words in Django Unchained? Didn't backward texasians talk that way at the time? So why shouldn't it be full of the word?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2013, 01:23:21 PM
whats the big deal with all the N-words in Django Unchained? Didn't backward texasians talk that way at the time? So why shouldn't it be full of the word?

You're joking with your initial question right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 02:27:00 PM

I vaguely recall reading something somewhere about it being used too much for effect, or such. I just watched it. I readily admit I am no expert of the vocabulary custom of the 1850s American South, but I would not imagine it far fetched to assume that they would not have trouble throwing the word around when referring to black people. :unsure:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2013, 04:25:10 PM

I vaguely recall reading something somewhere about it being used too much for effect, or such. I just watched it. I readily admit I am no expert of the vocabulary custom of the 1850s American South, but I would not imagine it far fetched to assume that they would not have trouble throwing the word around when referring to black people. :unsure:

Okay so you weren't. You can't see why some people might think a reviled word in America didn't need to be thrown about so frequently? And why "historical accuracy" could be seen as a weak defense in a movie that is more like historical fantasy?

I personally didn't take issue with it - but it seems pretty easy to envision why someone might.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Tamas reveals his Eastern European sensibilities or lack thereof.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2013, 04:25:10 PM

Okay so you weren't. You can't see why some people might think a reviled word in America didn't need to be thrown about so frequently? And why "historical accuracy" could be seen as a weak defense in a movie that is more like historical fantasy?

I personally didn't take issue with it - but it seems pretty easy to envision why someone might.

The use of the word didnt bother me nor a factor in me thinking the movie is crap.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

We get it, you didn't like it.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 04:43:34 PM

But, here's what I did like about it

Caprio's performance was good.
Franco Nero was in it. That was cool of Tarantino to cast him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HVC

Quote from: katmai on April 21, 2013, 04:45:52 PM

Yet he likes Prometheus :rolleyes:
he and ide can be Languish's siskel and ebert of wrong.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on April 21, 2013, 04:52:27 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 21, 2013, 04:45:52 PM

Yet he likes Prometheus :rolleyes:
he and ide can be Languish's siskel and ebert of wrong.

IIRC, I didnt think Ide liked it very much. So, in that case it would be mixed review.

;)

Ed Anger

One of my alleged friends sent me a disguised link to wiki feet.

GROSS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive