News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I think the best approximation of the local way to pronounce Louisville is LOOAH-vull.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 08:23:58 PM
I think the best approximation of the local way to pronounce Louisville is LOOAH-vull.

I like your transcription better than mine on the 3rd syllable.

With the second syllable we're both trying to describe a brief flat vowel, what linguists call the schwa I believe.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on April 19, 2013, 12:23:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2013, 12:08:15 PM
Of course when you look at the article, in this country we wouldn't have bothered with a blood test.  Once the suspect refuses to give a breath sample that'd be the end of the story.

Hey Beeb. What happens in this country if you refuse to do a breathalyzer?
You're charged with a crime.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 08:23:58 PM

Locals are often wrong. See Missourah and Nevadda.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Locals are always right. It's their town after all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

So you say Paree and Torino then?

Capetan Mihali

I say "Nevadda," just comes more natural I guess.  Certainly not "Oklahomer," though, which is pretty common with older people from the Northeast, dunno about OK itself. 

And I say "AppaLATCHya," which I picked from a long-term girlfriend from Raleigh whose parents met in Boone, N.C..  On the other hand, I've had a hard time shaking "OregAWN" thing.  :blush:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

People who say "Bawlmer" make my balls cringe and try to jump to their deaths.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 19, 2013, 09:58:52 PM
I say "Nevadda," just comes more natural I guess. 

As much time as you've spent in Boston, you should have no problem making an "ah" sound.

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on April 19, 2013, 06:34:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2013, 06:33:57 PM
It looks like a variant on the sign for female.
ding ding

I thought that was a gender, not a religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2013, 08:44:45 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 19, 2013, 12:23:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2013, 12:08:15 PM
Of course when you look at the article, in this country we wouldn't have bothered with a blood test.  Once the suspect refuses to give a breath sample that'd be the end of the story.

Hey Beeb. What happens in this country if you refuse to do a breathalyzer?
You're charged with a crime.

Yup - the crime of refusing to provide a sample.  Which carries an identical penalty to impaired driving.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2013, 06:33:57 PM
It looks like a variant on the sign for female.

I'm guessing it's gender equality (an e. with both the male and female symbol appendages).

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2013, 11:02:34 PM
Yup - the crime of refusing to provide a sample.  Which carries an identical penalty to impaired driving.

To give a little support to the Beeb position, as much as it pains me ( :P), having zealously fought drunk driving charges on utter technicalities -- to be in this situation in the US there has already been [IN THEORY, I note] on an officer's part:

1) reasonable suspicion to pull you over at all, i.e. based on your driving it is reasonable to suspect a crime is being committed [if it's e.g. speeding, then RS should be found over again to reasonably suspect drunk driving];

2) after pulling you over, probable cause is found to arrest you for the offense (i.e. a reasonable police officer thinks you are probably driving drunk), which is ascertained in a variety of standardized ways: FST's (walking a line heel-toe, raising one foot, touching your nose), HGN (seeing how your eyes move involuntarily in light), general behavior and speech, and then the on-site Breathalyzer (which AFAIK can only be entered as evidence that *some* alcohol was consumed, not the reading.)  The "Intoxylizer" at the station gives the definitive BAC, unless you opt for a blood test in most places.  So by the time a sample is being ordered, it is at least in theory well past the phase of arbitrary "just cause I say so" on the part of cops.

Here, when you refuse to blow into the Intox or give blood (you can always, and generally should, refuse the other tests), you generally get a civil penalty from the motor vehicle dept. suspending your license for a year (usually the same as a 1x DD), aside from any criminal issues.  Which is why you should generally not blow if you already have a DD conviction or 4 on your record, but generally should if you don't.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".