News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Man, I just found houses for less than I would expect to pay for a car.  There has to be something absurdly terrible.  Murder houses?  Meth lab houses?  Murder meth lab houses?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2013, 12:35:27 AM
Man, I just found houses for less than I would expect to pay for a car.  There has to be something absurdly terrible.  Murder houses?  Meth lab houses?  Murder meth lab houses?

Far worse.  Housing bubble burst.  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 11:31:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 03, 2013, 04:52:44 PM
I'm pretty much resigned to never owning a home unless I'm the last heir standing when my parents die.

Here's a secret.

If you have to take out a loan to buy something, you don't really own it. I mean, sure - you have the title and the deed and so on. But it isn't *really* yours - not in the sense of "I give you this currency/item/whatever and you give me this thing, and we take our respective stuff away and neither of us holds claim to the other person's stuff anymore". And not only is it not really yours, you owe far more on it than your offer would indicate, thanks to the magic of interest.

Keep renting and squirrel away money until you can buy something with cash. Tell the vipers at the bank to fuck themselves. That's my angry, bitter advice for the evening.

SFG has clients who do this, typically Latinos who work their asses off and save, over a number of years, let's say $80-100K. Then when they shop for houses, they shop for houses which are...wait for it...$80-100K. If a Latino landscaper knows mortgage interest is a sucker's game, surely we all can learn such a valuable lesson.

I love my house. I really do. But if I had it to do over again I'd never have bought it. The mortgage has caused me so much stress over the last year thanks to a number of things that it's been more headache than heartwarming. And home repairs are fun, too, but you know what else they are? Fucking expensive. I prefer to get paid to do them than to have to pay to do them.
Hey, I despise the home-ownership fetish as much as anyone, but you're going a bit overboard here.  Interest is just a rent on capital, although it's a kind of rent you can't back out on nearly as easily.  Mortgage is a leveraged investment, making you more vulnerable to loss of income, which is something that way too many people don't realize until their meet financial ruin, but in many circumstances it can make good sense. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Yes, but I fail to see the humor in this strained effort of being funny.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Phillip V on April 05, 2013, 12:02:05 AM
Interest is fine as long as it is at or below inflation rate.

Not for the lender it's not.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I heard that Hillary was bitching today at some women's conference about treatment of women in the US.  One of the things she mentioned was that women here have shorter life expectancy than any other industrialized country.  Strikes me as a bit of an odd grievance, when women still live about five years longer than men.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?