The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2013, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 05, 2013, 06:14:08 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2013, 02:21:43 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 02:18:21 PM
You don't need $350k to buy a house if you're willing to spend an hour in the car every day.

Depends where you live.

In these parts if you expect to pay $350K for a house you better be ready for a long commute (or not have to go to work).

It's not like that where Ide lives.

I'm still pretty dubious that a house that costs $30,000 is liveable or that I wouldn't be murdered before I'd even moved all five pieces of furniture in.

You own five pieces of furniture? :dubious:

A TV set doesn't count.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

You can get a solid house for 10k in dayton ohio. Of course, they are mostly on Gettysburg ave, which is darkie death land.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 05, 2013, 07:47:32 PM
You can get a solid house for 10k in dayton ohio. Of course, they are mostly on Gettysburg ave, which is darkie death land.
You should just buy up the whole street then. Problem solved.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2013, 07:47:02 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2013, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 05, 2013, 06:14:08 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2013, 02:21:43 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 02:18:21 PM
You don't need $350k to buy a house if you're willing to spend an hour in the car every day.

Depends where you live.

In these parts if you expect to pay $350K for a house you better be ready for a long commute (or not have to go to work).

It's not like that where Ide lives.

I'm still pretty dubious that a house that costs $30,000 is liveable or that I wouldn't be murdered before I'd even moved all five pieces of furniture in.

You own five pieces of furniture? :dubious:

A TV set doesn't count.

Meanwhile in this insanity Isle, this is just down the road from me, well river, here:

This 18ft by 10ft beach hut recently sold for how much ?

Two Hundred and Sixty Thousand Dollars.  :hmm:

Thats more than $1,400 per square for a temporary wooden structure with no land as such*, but no hot water or toilet facilities.

*iirc regulations about beach huts a complex and quite restrictive, here you're probably limited no more than 90 nights use a year and you can't fence off any land, so anyone* can wander amongst your 'property'

* me for instance, whose paid nothing to enjoy the same view. I could even set out a picknick on the beach in front of it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

In that situation, you're paying for location, not property.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

And you're paying to say you've paid.

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on April 05, 2013, 10:26:01 PM

Yeah, which I get for free.   :cool:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 05, 2013, 10:31:45 PM

Hobo?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

garbon

I'm trying to think of ways that someone lives permanently somewhere for free. Thought that might be less insulting than starting with if you live with a relative.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 05, 2013, 10:31:45 PM

Hobo?

Does a mongers shit in the woods?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

I think draft war mongers do.

Phillip V

Payment for Kindness: 2 Days in a Trunk at Age 89

'When two teenage girls in Delaware wanted a ride to the other side of town and Margaret E. Smith obliged, she did not expect a frightening encounter along the way.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/06/us/this-land-with-an-act-of-kindness-a-lady-vanishes.html