Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 02, 2013, 07:27:07 PM
In twenty five pages I did not see fit to mention that Forrest dealt in slaves.

Someone else's paper can cover it.

Lettow, what is unfortunate is that as you leave college you didn't seem to use the opportunity to go beyond what you were familiar with. My hunch is that you didn't need to do much research on Forrest to write a paper on his virtues: you probably could have done that in high school without consulting another source. It might have been better to chose a topic you weren't familiar with, or at the least written the paper from a different perspective to challenge yourself (such as that Forrest's flaws outweighed his virtues).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Lettow77

Forrest has enough detractors without some misguided attempt to 'challenge myself.'  I love history, but it had at various times given me intense assaults on my mental well-being. I have spoke before of my desire to walk away from it and live a more self-involved and indulgent life in pursuit of indolent pleasure and humble comfort; I want to think a lot more about tea in the future and a lot less about Forrest.

I genuinely got upset re-immersing myself in Forrest lore for the paper, but only briefly- I then took to the more entertaining matter of deliberate distortion and propagandizing. I would sooner I never had to write this paper, but it is a graduation requirement, and the last commitment I will have to history academia in my life. Reading about Forrest on his deathbed, appraising a subordinate's son brought to him for a blessing, as Forrest says that he is a fine boy who, he hopes, will grow up true to the South- it naturally awakens in me feelings of guilt that I am not the committed partisan for the South I could or should have been.  So, I am leaving the matter, going elsewhere, divorcing myself from the South's well-being, but of course I cannot leave on any note but unstinting praise of Tennessee's ablest son.

Any future thoughts I have on Forrest will relate to my ongoing side-project to cast him as a little girl in the pantheon of Confederate Little Girls, and also to propagandize to  impressionable and over-romantic Japanese.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

:XD:  If it wasn't Lettow, it'd be a pretty good joke.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 02, 2013, 07:27:07 PM
In twenty five pages I did not see fit to mention that Forrest dealt in slaves.

Someone else's paper can cover it.
:lol:

Still, too intellectual.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

QuoteNew photo of Newtown shooter Adam Lanza released with college records

A new photo of Sandy Hook massacre gunman Adam Lanza has emerged: a college ID snapshot that shows him staring wide-eyed into the camera as though scared out of his wits.

No, no profile red flags or anything.

Sheilbh

Question.

Does a country with a falling population need GDP growth? Would GDP shrinking slower than population not be similar? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I reckon that depends on why the population is falling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

A little known fact about Forrest; predating his membership in the Klan, he oversaw a plantation with some 200 sharecroppers. In 1866 he happened to kill one of them with an axe; his official story was that the laborer in question menaced him with a knife over an argument in which Forrest urged the man to stop beating his wife. Seemingly undermining the story is that the wife in question blamed Forrest compeltely and maintained her husband never hit her; one supposes she lost her senses due to the constant beatings she received.

Forrest turned himself in immediately, and the deputy sheriff immediately released him and absolved him of any wrongdoing- with a subsequent trial doing the same after no deliberation.

I managed to work elements of this into my paper when discussing Forrest's intense personal concern for the well-being of his dependents, and how his christian decency compelled him to intercede on behalf of his plantation's women, as they were society's most vulnerable :)

Ideologue

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 02, 2013, 06:50:49 PM
Quote from: Forrest's Canonization Papers
As Forrest's wealth rose in estimation, he provided for his family's education and, not content with charity that began and ended at home, took a substantial loss investing in an academy to bring higher education to Hernando, Mississippi. (Forrest, of course, thought only of others, and neglected his own educational attainment.)

How does wealth rise in estimation?  Whose estimation?  My wealth just rose in my estimation to ten zillion space bucks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 02, 2013, 09:38:21 PM
A little known fact about Forrest; predating his membership in the Klan, he oversaw a plantation with some 200 sharecroppers. In 1866 he happened to kill one of them with an axe; his official story was that the laborer in question menaced him with a knife over an argument in which Forrest urged the man to stop beating his wife. Seemingly undermining the story is that the wife in question blamed Forrest compeltely and maintained her husband never hit her; one supposes she lost her senses due to the constant beatings she received.

Forrest turned himself in immediately, and the deputy sheriff immediately released him and absolved him of any wrongdoing- with a subsequent trial doing the same after no deliberation.

I managed to work elements of this into my paper when discussing Forrest's intense personal concern for the well-being of his dependents, and how his christian decency compelled him to intercede on behalf of his plantation's women, as they were society's most vulnerable :)

Lettow, is there time to change the paper to reimagine Forrest as a little girl in the pantheon of little girl confederate generals? It might be better received by your professor.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

He's managed to pass his classes until now, so I have my doubts he actually passes in what he claims. What he posts here are probably what he wishes he could have passed in.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2013, 11:11:21 PM
He's managed to pass his classes until now, so I have my doubts he actually passes in what he claims. What he posts here are probably what he wishes he could have passed in.

I dunno.  Liberal arts degrees are a fucking joke, and Lettow is just a twisted mirror.  Is it written in comprehensible if flowery and pretentious English?  B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

What strange system did y'all come from? I am in Martin, TN. One of the slavering Forrest apologists I am citing heavily, Lonnie Maness, was the previous head of the history department here.

I have been selected repeatedly by the history department for prizes singling me out as their top student- this year I won a nifty something or another for best senior in the history department.

I don't lie or fabricate evidence in any of my papers, and my writing is of course in beautiful lettow english that right-thinking professors, after being forced to contend with the sad-sack submissions of the rural bubbas, seize upon like a dehydrated man after water.