The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 15, 2013, 02:40:40 PM
It's the Ides of March. Beware.

It's also international Yi Day.  :ph34r:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I knew it. katmai covers several counties.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

One thing I've noticed from maps like that, western counties are huge compared to eastern. Probably why when some fruit loop sheriff manages to make the national news, he's usually from the southwest. They have a lot more power and influence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Ugh... got a low-ball offer from a recruiter today in Tampa.

But then got a cold-call from some company I never heard of saying they can pay me well relative to costs in North Carolina. They will send me an offer letter tomorrow. :hmm:

Eddie Teach

You wouldn't have to deal with this process if you'd stayed in the service. :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2013, 03:29:36 PM
One thing I've noticed from maps like that, western counties are huge compared to eastern. Probably why when some fruit loop sheriff manages to make the national news, he's usually from the southwest. They have a lot more power and influence.

I think that depends. I mean Arizona has much lower population density than say most of our states. Makes sense that counties should be bigger.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2013, 03:34:00 PM
You wouldn't have to deal with this process if you'd stayed in the service. :contract:

Yeah, but the service can abuse me in other ways...

I will go back on active duty if they make me a Commissioned Officer. Or scrap the silly longer years required to become Sergeant Major (E-9).

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 03:35:11 PM

I think that depends. I mean Arizona has much lower population density than say most of our states. Makes sense that counties should be bigger.

This strikes me as a very anthropocentric view of government.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

This must have been a close call for both parties:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 15, 2013, 03:47:03 PM

This strikes me as a very anthropocentric view of government.

Well considering that it is people whom elect the government and whom the government exists to serve, I think that's okay. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Arizona has a population of 6.5 million in 15 counties. Alabama has a population of 4.8 million in 67 counties. Indiana has 6.5 million in 92 counties. This suggests to me the Arizona county sheriff has more power both in absolute terms(more people living in his fief) and relative within the state.

I suspect the discrepancy came about because the population density disparity used to be even greater, and because there were railroads and perhaps even cars around when their counties were formed. But that's beside the point.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2013, 03:20:58 PM

I like how if you read it a certain way, there's a county in Illinois where they don't speak at home. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2013, 04:14:58 PM

Arizona has a population of 6.5 million in 15 counties. Alabama has a population of 4.8 million in 67 counties. Indiana has 6.5 million in 92 counties. This suggests to me the Arizona county sheriff has more power both in absolute terms(more people living in his fief) and relative within the state.

I suspect the discrepancy came about because the population density disparity used to be even greater, and because there were railroads and perhaps even cars around when their counties were formed. But that's beside the point.

I'm not sure I know what the point is. :P

Admiral Yi

Only if you read it the South Carolina way(tm).