Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Phillip V

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2013, 05:39:45 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2013, 04:58:07 PM
Alright, they came back and will give me a $2k signing bonus to cover relocation. I think I may accept...

$2k is nothing for relocation unless you're just chucking everything to start anew.
Pretty much. Sum total of my possessions is a backpack, suitcase, and 2 boxes; deferring the accumulation of "stuff" until I have a family.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 15, 2013, 05:15:02 PM
That's why you always figure out your minimum and then tell them your minimum's higher.

And that's how rejection letters are made, Bobby!
Yeah. In the beginning, I used to name very high salary desires, but companies simply replied that my "salary expectations do not match the position" and then closed my application. Now, I try to be reasonable. :D

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2013, 05:50:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2013, 05:39:45 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2013, 04:58:07 PM
Alright, they came back and will give me a $2k signing bonus to cover relocation. I think I may accept...

$2k is nothing for relocation unless you're just chucking everything to start anew.
Pretty much. Sum total of my possessions is a backpack, suitcase, and 2 boxes; deferring the accumulation of "stuff" until I have a family.

Then have at 'er!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Poor kid with such a large melon.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on March 15, 2013, 05:58:36 PM

He'll probably inherit his dad's poor photoshop skills as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2013, 05:59:44 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 15, 2013, 05:58:36 PM

He'll probably inherit his dad's poor photoshop skills as well.

IIRC it was Seedy's poor photoshop skillz.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2013, 05:52:37 PM
Yeah. In the beginning, I used to name very high salary desires, but companies simply replied that my "salary expectations do not match the position" and then closed my application. Now, I try to be reasonable. :D

Yup;  I no longer look at "salary requirements" as a metric of something comparable to what I've made before, but what can I afford to live on.  :lol:

And when specifically asked about requirements, I give them a nice, long "while market reference points for a position of this type can range anywhere from $XXXXX to $XXXXX or more depending on industry, my salary requirements are a secondary consideration to the potential of working for such a unique and vibrant company" blowjob, complete with no teeth action and a dabble of rim.

That hasn't worked either.   :lol:

katmai

Time to get out the cardboard and a sharpie?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 15, 2013, 05:15:02 PM
That's why you always figure out your minimum and then tell them your minimum's higher.

And that's how rejection letters are made, Bobby!

Doesn't have to be much higher. Just a bit. $2K, for instance! :D
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Been going through some family photos recently, scanning some for my sister.
20 years ago, my father was a dead ringer for Paul Sorvino, circa Goodfellas and Law & Order.  Now he looks like Tommy Lee Jones. 

Wonder how the fuck I'll turn out.  Ugh.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2013, 08:09:46 PM
Been going through some family photos recently, scanning some for my sister.
20 years ago, my father was a dead ringer for Paul Sorvino, circa Goodfellas and Law & Order.  Now he looks like Tommy Lee Jones. 

Wonder how the fuck I'll turn out.  Ugh.

Be the change you want to something or other, ish ?  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2013, 04:38:34 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 15, 2013, 03:32:17 PM
Ugh... got a low-ball offer from a recruiter today in Tampa.

But then got a cold-call from some company I never heard of saying they can pay me well relative to costs in North Carolina. They will send me an offer letter tomorrow. :hmm:
Damn, the offer letter is already in my inbox; 3 days allowed for acceptance. Gave me the exact *minimum* salary I stated. :( I e-mailed them back asking for relocation assistance of 2 weeks hotel+car.

When I got a low ball offer passed through a recruiter I asked why they were fucking with me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.