News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I do a lot of stuff for my current job from home anyway, so I don't think it would be a shock or anything. Hell, I have a voip phone on my desk at home and my office extension rings there when I am logged into it.

The other night I was installing a new Exchange server while playing Skyrim and watching Netflix.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Meri's panties just got wet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 05:51:17 PM
I neither need nor want to commute downtown to my expensive office to work. But it was not negotiable.  :( Their point was that lawyers should be communial so that if someone wanted a quick consultation there would be no problem. Mine was that, as the firm takes up more than 4 floors of a huge offoce building, in practice lawyers usually actually "consult" with emails and calls anyway.

Why is it that so many lawyers appear to be technophobes? The corporate world churns on with video conferencing and flex schedules, while lawyers remove their monocles and stroll down the hallway into the library for a consultation and quick nip off the bottle?

Oh, wait, now I get it :D
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on February 20, 2013, 06:23:20 PM
I just think old people are suspicious anyone 'working from home' isn't really working

True story. I don't have much love for Best Buy at the retail level but the corporate office has made some great strides in flex scheduling.

fhdz

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 07:04:16 PM
I could really imagine working from home being tough. It is hard to concentrate seated in the same place and at the same computer you normally do all your fun stuff on.
If however its a job where getting the work done rather than putting the hours in is the priority then it could be excellent.

I just consider it a quality of life thing;  I try to make a very distinct demarcation between my work life and my home life, and I do not like to have either spill over into the other.  I really, really hate that.

Phillip V

'Family values' former Senator reveals past adultery and secret child: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/02/20/us/ap-us-domenici-son.html

Razgovory

Fucking the daughter of a fellow senator.  Wow.  Just, wow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2013, 09:04:41 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 07:04:16 PM
I could really imagine working from home being tough. It is hard to concentrate seated in the same place and at the same computer you normally do all your fun stuff on.
If however its a job where getting the work done rather than putting the hours in is the priority then it could be excellent.

I just consider it a quality of life thing;  I try to make a very distinct demarcation between my work life and my home life, and I do not like to have either spill over into the other.  I really, really hate that.

Yeah, me too.
I even usually like to keep different parts of my personal life compartmentalised. You've the family zone, the friends zone, the 'girls' zone, etc...

With regards to working at home one story that keeps coming to mind for me is that of Mr Song and Ice and Fire who has two houses across the street from each other, one as his house and one as his office. The office one quite neatly has a old computer disconnected from distractions.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 12:36:35 AM
Fucking the daughter of a fellow senator.  Wow.  Just, wow.

:mellow:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2013, 02:01:23 AM
Yeah, me too.
I even usually like to keep different parts of my personal life compartmentalised. You've the family zone, the friends zone, the 'girls' zone, etc...

With regards to working at home one story that keeps coming to mind for me is that of Mr Song and Ice and Fire who has two houses across the street from each other, one as his house and one as his office. The office one quite neatly has a old computer disconnected from distractions.

Too bad he only crosses the street once a week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Phillip V

New official portraits. There is inevitable ageing of course, but I prefer the style of the 2009 portraits.