News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I think I'm gonna settle in with Alien3 this evening. Been a few years since last watching. Not sure if I've ever watched the one in the quadrilogy set which contains a version that's 30 minutes longer. Yeah, I'm a sucker for punishment. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 08, 2013, 06:01:18 PM
I think I'm gonna settle in with Alien3 this evening. Been a few years since last watching. Not sure if I've ever watched the one in the quadrilogy set which contains a version that's 30 minutes longer. Yeah, I'm a sucker for punishment. :lol:

I didn't love 3, but I thought it was okay.

Mind you I saw it in the theatre and haven't seen it since, so who knows what I'd think now...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2013, 04:34:06 PM
This long Alien discussion should be moved to the movie thread.

I am sure that thread already has one.

And besides, this is the OTT.  Anything goes.
Post too much on one subject and it becomes on topic. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2013, 06:31:09 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2013, 04:34:06 PM
This long Alien discussion should be moved to the movie thread.

I am sure that thread already has one.

And besides, this is the OTT.  Anything goes.

That has never stopped this thread before...or for that matter, stopped topical threads from going off topic.

jimmy olsen

Poor kid! :lol:

http://www.happyplace.com/18523/parents-use-their-love-of-twilight-to-ruin-their-childs-life

QuoteParents use their love of Twilight to ruin their child's life.

posted 10/16/2012

Not everyone is cut out to be parents, but only a few have the right stuff to be among the worst of all time. It should be no surprise that that list includes fans of a series where a dead guy impregnates a living girl with a hyperbaby who kills her mom upon arrival and instantly becomes soulmates with a werewolf (did we just spoil stuff? boo friggin hoo). As if that wasn't bad enough, these miserable breeders think the best part of the movie is when the 120-Year-Old Virgin lights up like a disco ball in the sun because his skin is made of diamonds (because it's so lame to give vampires any kind of weakness when they could just be hot). Sorry kid. If you need help emancipating yourself, contact our legal team.

*Editor's note - Apparently these terrible parents probably named their kid after My Little Pony, and not Twilight. We know that Bronies are literally the most insane people on the Internet, so we're not going to change the title of this post because it's really fun to see them spew rainbow-colored rage at our screens.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2013, 06:31:09 PM

Then every thread where you're busted on for being an Assburger asschimp would be its own thread.

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2013, 04:09:56 PM
What does 'change management' mean? :mellow:

Suppose you have a key system or process. For example, there is a milk shake maker at McDonalds that makes a standardized product for customers.

Change management is how you control that any changes to that system or process are authorized and don't lead to critical breakdowns. In the case of the milk shake maker, examples could include that local staff are unable to change the formula used in the milkshake to keep them from making non standard products, and all changes will be approved by corporate. It could also include procedures so that if any changes are made to a milk shake maker, the first few batches produced will be sampled by staff and not served to customers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on February 08, 2013, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2013, 04:09:56 PM
What does 'change management' mean? :mellow:

Suppose you have a key system or process. For example, there is a milk shake maker at McDonalds that makes a standardized product for customers.

Change management is how you control that any changes to that system or process are authorized and don't lead to critical breakdowns. In the case of the milk shake maker, examples could include that local staff are unable to change the formula used in the milkshake to keep them from making non standard products, and all changes will be approved by corporate. It could also include procedures so that if any changes are made to a milk shake maker, the first few batches produced will be sampled by staff and not served to customers.

I'm guessing there's an additional manager for this 'non-change' involved somewhere or other ?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:56:23 PM

I'm guessing there's an additional manager for this 'non-change' involved somewhere or other ?   :P

A lot of the bigger companies out there will have literally hundreds of internal control managers that spend their time thinking up of how things can go wrong and ensuring the processes in place to keep things from going wrong are being followed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Ugh, ING Direct has become Capital One 360. That feels like such a ghetto brand. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Alien 3 was crap. So was Alien 4, in a completely different way.

Fun fact: Alien 3 didn't have a script. They just shot randomly around Port Talbot for a few weeks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point