News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The American ambassador to Denmark is leaving and leaves a going a way present in the form of a slap to the face. "Don't call your immigrants 'second or third generation immigrants, call them Danes. Embrace your cultural diversity."

But 'andengenerationsinvadrere' is such a nice long word. :( It's almost as good as 'menneskerettighedsorganisationerne'.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

In German it's "Menschen mit Migrationshintergrund" (people with migratory background).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

http://www.france24.com/en/20130208-france-louvre-liberty-vandalised-911
France's iconic 'Liberty' painting vandalised at Louvre
A painting that is the enduring image of the French revolution and adorned the 100 franc note for nearly two decades has been vandalised by a woman who "tagged" the canvas with an indelible black marker pen.

An iconic symbol of the French Revolution was "tagged" late on Thursday in an attack on a national symbol that forced the Louvre's Lens museum to shut its doors on Friday.

The vandal, a 29-year-old woman, targeted one of France's best known paintings – "Liberty Leading the People" – painted by Eugène Delacroix in 1830.

The painting shows a bare-breasted female figure bearing aloft the French Tricolor with one hand and a musket in the other.

It is the classic symbol of the French Revolution and was immortalised as the main image on 100-franc bank notes from 1978 to 1995.

The Louvre tag code

According to judicial sources, the woman scrawled "AE911" on the canvas using an indelible black marker pen.

On Friday morning, French media were speculating that the tag could be a reference to the "Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth" group, which believes that the collapse of the New York Twin Towers in 2001 could not have been the result of just the impact from two fuel-laden airliners.

"We won't know if there is any political significance until police questioning ends," the museum's Communications Director Raphäel Wolff told FRANCE 24 on Friday morning.

"She is still under arrest and the state prosecutor is here at the museum investigating this."

Wolff would also not be drawn on the extent of the damage until it had been thoroughly examined by museum experts.

"Our restoration team is hard at work and we will know how badly Liberty has been damaged later on today," he said.

Liberty is the showpiece work of art at the Louvre museum's satellite branch in the eastern city of Lens, which opened for the first time on December 4.

:bleeding:
I thought these people didn't have passports?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on February 08, 2013, 07:16:15 AM
The American ambassador to Denmark is leaving and leaves a going a way present in the form of a slap to the face. "Don't call your immigrants 'second or third generation immigrants, call them Danes. Embrace your cultural diversity."

But 'andengenerationsinvadrere' is such a nice long word. :( It's almost as good as 'menneskerettighedsorganisationerne'.
People of Denmark: The space bar exists for a reason. :p
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 09:21:22 AM
:huh:  Alien 3 only had one little aspect wrong?

to most people who hate the movie, yes. newt and hicks "dying so disrespectfully and so quickly."  :D

others will have their issues with the film, i'm sure, but a vast majority of people who dislike the movie tend to reveal their issue with it starts there

(edit) i guess i'll add.. oh boy, here we go!  :(
Yeah, killing Newt and Hicks was a cinematic crime against humanity. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Nah, Newt was no loss. Now the cat from the first movie....
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Newt was a loss mostly because the entire organizing principle of Aliens 2 was saving her.

garbon

Newt was also a loss as she was one of a small subset of children in movies that were not obnoxious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2013, 06:31:31 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2013, 05:17:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2013, 05:00:02 PM
Nothin' makes me happier than a 50 km drive home from work in a blizzard.

Nothing, I say.

Tomorrow will be better(worse).

cough....hack....oh look, I'm coming down with something. Might not be able to get to work.
so, did that cold sneak upon you lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

LaCroix

Quote from: Josephus on February 08, 2013, 09:17:48 AM
Nah, Newt was no loss. Now the cat from the first movie....

..lived a happily ever after life in the care of some space station denizen, the only true survivor  :)

Quote from: Admiral YiNewt was a loss mostly because the entire organizing principle of Aliens 2 was saving her.

she was a factor of the second film, but nothing more. her death in the third served to sever ties with the previous movie. couldn't have an annoying child run around, after all. the plot demanded that ripley be stranded in an alien world, and having familiar faces, especially a marine and a child, would have really hurt the story

Quote from: GarbonNewt was also a loss as she was one of a small subset of children in movies that were not obnoxious.

the loss of -screams- The Character was devastatingly felt  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 08, 2013, 08:06:57 AM
:bleeding:
I thought these people didn't have passports?

:bleeding: Holy Crap.  If she had one I hope we cancel it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 09:41:58 AM
she was a factor of the second film, but nothing more. her death in the third served to sever ties with the previous movie. couldn't have an annoying child run around, after all. the plot demanded that ripley be stranded in an alien world, and having familiar faces, especially a marine and a child, would have really hurt the story

Newt was the organizing principle.  Her rescue proved that the mission had not been completely pointless.  She was emblematic of the fact that there are greater goods than simple self-preservation. Her relationship to Ripley set up Ripley's Good Mother duel with alien Bad Mother.

And severing ties to the first two is the entire point of this criticism.  Why even bother tacking 3 onto the Alien franchise if you're not going to bother with maintaining a conisistent story arc?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 09:56:16 AM
Newt was the organizing principle.  Her rescue proved that the mission had not been completely pointless.  She was emblematic of the fact that there are greater goods than simple self-preservation. Her relationship to Ripley set up Ripley's Good Mother duel with alien Bad Mother.

And severing ties to the first two is the entire point of this criticism.  Why even bother tacking 3 onto the Alien franchise if you're not going to bother with maintaining a conisistent story arc?

I don't know if it was that inconsistent;  Newt was replaced as Ripley's daughter figure with the alien gestating inside her; Ripley chose sacrifice and eternal unification in being melted together with her newborn as her role in the end.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 09:56:16 AMNewt was the organizing principle.  Her rescue proved that the mission had not been completely pointless.  She was emblematic of the fact that there are greater goods than simple self-preservation. Her relationship to Ripley set up Ripley's Good Mother duel with alien Bad Mother.

newt served as a plot device. she managed to get captured by the aliens allowed ripley to face the Big Bad, as you note. her death in the third film does not change this. ripley's struggle is not diminished by any means, nor does it change any message. the past still happened, and there's no getting beyond that. not every story ends in a flowery conclusion for all involved

let's not pretend the first and the second were symbiotic; the first was made without a sequel in mind, and the second created a story to fit within the universe. the third did the exact same: the ship they were on malfunctioned, the escape pod landed on a desolate planet, and two characters from the past were died. it is a consistent story arc. that you did not like how the story continued is not the film's fault