News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2013, 01:50:24 PM
I guess I probably ought to see the Alien movies.

I've seen them, but have zero idea what the controversy is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2013, 03:09:28 PM

I think the controversy is whether Alien 3 is a suckfest or not.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 03:24:16 PM

I haven't seen it, because I heard that it was. What's the counter-argument? If convincing, I'm willing to see the movie.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2013, 03:45:42 PM
I haven't seen it, because I heard that it was. What's the counter-argument? If convincing, I'm willing to see the movie.  :)

It's a suckfest.

garbon

I guess that it isn't terrible if you think of it as a standalone non-Alien film? Or so I've heard. Personally I always fall asleep while watching it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

GS Elevator Gossip ‏@GSElevator

#1: On Valentine's Day, I send my wife flowers with a card that says 'Congratulations'.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2013, 01:50:24 PM
I guess I probably ought to see the Alien movies.

The two good ones are not really that great, lesser works in both directors' oeuvres.  Aliens is the better of the two.

Prometheus is a bag of poo.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Nothin' makes me happier than a 50 km drive home from work in a blizzard.

Nothing, I say.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2013, 05:00:02 PM

Nothing, I say.

Tomorrow will be better(worse).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

I've heard the Directors cut is much better, but I haven't seen it so I can't say myself.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2013, 05:17:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2013, 05:00:02 PM

Nothing, I say.

Tomorrow will be better(worse).

cough....hack....oh look, I'm coming down with something. Might not be able to get to work.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Phillip V

'Humankind's common ancestor with other mammals may have been a roughly rat-sized animal that weighed half a pound, had a long furry tail and lived on insects.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/science/common-ancestor-of-mammals-plucked-from-obscurity.html

Josquius

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2013, 08:28:42 AM
Never having had the patience to do it when I was a kid I've finally finished Final Fantasy 8. I feel dissapointed.
And :hmm:
http://squallsdead.com/
It would explain the change in tone and the way the game is less good after the first disc...

why, you impudent..  :D

but no, FF8 is amazing, easily the best final fantasy i've ever played. sure, the emo romance is hilarious at times, and the combat system is utterly broken if you exploit it, but the rest of it is perfect. it is a flawed gem that most hate, i'll admit that. but it is fantastic
Yeah, I love FF8. The first disc though is orders of magnitude better than what follows and the ending was a bit weird and dissapointing.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Brett Keisel has shaved his beard for cancer charity.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Keisel-says-goodbye-to-the-beard/28ee6143-9f31-41d6-a039-488b2e788a10

Before:

After:

QuoteA clean-shaven Keisel took the stage to "Sharp Dressed Man," unrecognizable to many, including his two-year old daughter Grace.

"My daughter came in the door and she was like who is that. I don't know him," said Keisel. "I had to get my voice out to her and make sure she realized it was me talking to her. She finally warmed up to me."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 07, 2013, 01:47:55 PMSuch bullshit.

you'll note i did say "most," rather than "all"  :P

though it's anecdotal, almost every person i've seen who has listed why they dislike alien 3 tend to fall back on: "they killed off two awesome(!!) characters so early and mercilessly"

this includes languish threads in the past on the subject. it is a fine movie. as good as alien or aliens? of course not. but it is by no means an objectively bad movie