News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2013, 10:01:50 AM
Your childhood? Seems to me you are still in it.

I'm not 17 anymore. :(

Also I noticed on CK2 boards that the discussion seem very similar to 10 years ago. "Game is 'Crusader Kings' so it shouldn't focus on anything by Christian Europe" whereas before the comment was with regards to 'Europa Universalis'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

QuoteNEW YORK (MarketWatch) – McGraw-Hill Cos. stock tumbled more than 5% on Tuesday, adding to deep declines on Monday, as investors reacted to news that the Justice Department is suing its Standard & Poor's Ratings Services unit over claims that the firm intentionally rated mortgage investments incorrectly before the financial crisis.

"This is a landmark case," Jacob Zamansky, a lawyer in New York who specializes in securities fraud, told MarketWatch. "Investors would never have bought toxic mortgage securities if they didn't get S&P's stamp of approval."

The Justice Department civil charges are the first against a rating agency since the financial crisis. The claim refers to CDOs in 2007 related to mortgage-backed securities just before the financial crisis.

"What this lawsuit shows is that the U.S. government is still committed to attacking the financial industry legally," said Dick Bove, bank analyst at Rafferty Capital Markets, LLC. "The view of the government is that the financial industry still needs to be reined in."

Standard & Poor's MHP) said in a statement they will vigorously defend against the suit and that their analysts provided good-faith ratings.

The two other major rating agencies in the U.S., Moody's Corp. MCO) and Fitch Ratings, have not been charged by the Justice Department.

"Those ratings agencies will be next in the cross hairs" said Zamansky. "I expect there will be massive lawsuits against Moody's and Fitch."

Moody's declined to comment. Fitch Ratings said in a statement they had no reason to believe they were the target of any such action.

There is broader concern about what the lawsuit means for the U.S. economy.

Bove said that a shrinking financial industry or one that was under pressure from the government would harm the economy. "What the Justice Department doesn't seem to realize is that [these actions are] harming the US economy and the ability of people to get jobs."

The government's investigation, which has been going on for three years, is focused on whether S&P violated their own standards, a report in The Wall Street Journal said.

"It damages the U.S. economy because business is fraught with what the government will do next," said Neil Hennessy, founder of Hennessy Funds which manages $3.1 billion.

Since the financial crisis, the ratings agencies have been criticized for their practices and their relationships with the banking industry.

More broadly, financial stocks were up Monday, Bank of AmericaBAC) rose more than 2% and was the biggest gainer in the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA). Goldman SachsGS), J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. JPM) and Morgan Stanley MS) were all up more than 1.50%. Citigroup gained more than 1%.

The Financial Select Sector SPDR Fund XLF), which tracks financial stocks in the S&P 500 , gained 0.66%.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2013, 01:16:34 AM
Browsing a Japanese jobs site I see something....interesting.

QuoteIf you are passionate about automobiles and can speak English, Russian,Chinese or Latin we would like you to be in charge of the foreign market selling Japanese used cars to other countries.

:caesar:
Just where are they selling these cars to...:ph34r:
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Found a gun under a seat in my train. Affiliation to the assassination attempt earlier today unknown. :ph34r:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on February 05, 2013, 05:17:16 PM
Found a gun under a seat in my train. Affiliation to the assassination attempt earlier today unknown. :ph34r:
Is it working?  :)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on February 05, 2013, 05:17:16 PM
What assassination attempt?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Rather convenient planting that story here to cover the fact your prints are all over the weapon  :hmm:

Liep

What surprised me was that it took the police more than 30 minutes to remove it from the train. That's time I could've spent drinking coffee and telling my colleagues about that gun I just found. :P

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on February 05, 2013, 06:16:03 PM
What surprised me was that it took the police more than 30 minutes to remove it from the train.
Maybe they needed to call in an expert who knew how to handle guns.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on February 05, 2013, 06:16:03 PM
What surprised me was that it took the police more than 30 minutes to remove it from the train.

They obviously didn't have a contingency plan.

Ed Anger

Kasich proposes 50% tax cut for small business.  :)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

The % of bastards is greatly exaggerated.

In modern Germany it's only 1%, and in Britain over the last 700 years it was only 1.3%

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2013/02/cuckoldry-rates-in-germany-are-1-percent/#more-19971

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1288207/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point