News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2013, 09:02:47 PM
That's almost too easy of a target. Kinda difficult to be witty when the joke's already written itself.
Yeah, agreed.  It's not like the steering wheel desk.

Josquius

I just got a PS3. :punk:
I promptly told my girlfriend that her services are no longer required.
She thought I was joking. heh.....  :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Wait, is Tyr getting lllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddd?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2013, 08:22:14 AM
by a PS3 apparently lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Phillip V

295 American servicemembers died in Afghanistan last year. But another 349 committed suicide; not sure if that includes reservists.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/01/ap-2012-military-suicides-hit-record-high-349-011413/

Tonitrus

The article says "active-duty".

Josquius

On and off for years now
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

I just found out one my friend's ancestors died at Dachau.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2013, 06:58:13 PM
On and off for years now

WTF shit man.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

My boss is a filthy idea stealer :angry:

Todays meeting went something like this:

Me: <idea>
Boss: <shoots idea down, offers a watered down ineffective version>
Boss's Boss: <I like original idea>
Boss: <rephrases my idea and takes credit>

What a bitch.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 09:28:05 PM

Oh, I read that as your ancestors, and I was about to ask if the guard tower fell over.

But I guess it's no joking matter.  I'm in a bad mood and can't tell what's appropriate. <_< Nevertheless, I submit it as: funny.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

So I ordered a table calendar from Amazon.com, because it's not available on Amazon.de. Including shipping the price was ok.

Amazon shipped via Mail Services Inc. In three days it was at the distribution center in Germany, handed over to delivery service GLS.

It then took them 11 days to get it to Austria, and they attempted to deliver on day 12. I wasn't home, and normally they leave a notification at the door, and I can pick up the delivery at a local shop nearby that has long opening hours and is open on Saturdays.

The notification wasn't there. I looked at the tracking system where a name of a shop was given that wasn't on the GLS website. I googled for it, turns out they recorded the delivery with the shop owner's name, not the shop's name. According to the shop's website they're open on Saturdays. Only, they're not. Their other opening hours are during my work hours.

So I contact GLS and ask them to deposit the delivery at a different shop with different opening hours. They point out that it wasn't their fault, and that the shop's correct opening hours are on their GLS webpage. I pointed out to them that I wasn't able to find the shop on their page, but would still like if they would deposit the package at a different shop, or alternatively send it to my workplace.

They can't do that, such a request can only come from the sender, and the sender has to pay for it (UPS or DPD don't create any such fuzz). So I told them that in this case I won't be able to pick up the delivery (I'm not taking a day off to pick up a f'ing calendar - I would ask friends, but they're working, too), but that I'd let the seller/American courier service know that due to their European business partner's unwillingness to cooperate the delivery will be returned to them.

This is hot on the tail of two more mess ups they did recently: a coworker was waiting for a package, but it never arrived. He checked with them, and they say they delivered to our office at a time when only two persons were there, and none of them accepted the delivery. GLS provided a receipt with undecipherable signature, and asking around in our office building, no one could say who this signature belongs to. The package is lost. Another friend had a delivery returned to sender because of invalid address, even though he triple checked and explained that he gave his officially registered address and that it's never been an issue with other companies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2013, 11:58:10 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 09:28:05 PM

Oh, I read that as your ancestors, and I was about to ask if the guard tower fell over.

But I guess it's no joking matter.  I'm in a bad mood and can't tell what's appropriate. <_< Nevertheless, I submit it as: funny.

YOU STOLE MY PUNCHLINE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

'Stand Closer to the Rhino' Results in Grave Wound

"When do you not listen to the African wildlife expert? When he tells you to stand closer to the rhino." :(

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/01/15/us/ap-af-travel-brief-speared-by-rhino.html

derspiess

Someone in the office brought in Christmas cookies.  A little late for leftovers, dude.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall