Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2012, 05:25:38 AM
Farewell Kraken?

Quote from: CountDeMoneyShalom, Kraken.

"Hey that thing is finally fuckin off.  You gotta light?"

CountDeMoney

QuoteMADRID — An elderly Spanish woman has destroyed a 19th century church fresco after she attempted to restore it without permission.

The Ecce Homo, a depiction of Christ crowned with thorns painted by local artist Elias Garcia Martinez, has graced the wall of the Santuario de la Misericordia Church in Borja, near Zaragoza, for more than 120 years.

But over the last 18 months its surface has deteriorated because of moisture in the church, causing parts of the painting to flake off.

An elderly woman amateur artist in her 80s, upset at the worsening state of an image she loved to gaze on, took it upon herself to restore the artwork to its former glory, but with devastating results.

The result was a botched repair in which the original face has been almost completely painted over with amateur brushstrokes. The image now resembles an ape, rather than the son of God.

"Unfortunately a local resident with very good intentions decided without consulting anyone that she would restore the fresco," said Javier Silvestre, the councillor reponsible for culture at Borja town hall.

"The result is disastrous." A panel of art historians will meet at the church next week to consider the problem.

The amateur painter carried out her work without anyone noticing.

Descendants of the artist used to spend their vacations in the town and donated the picture to the local municipality.

The "restoration" was only discovered when the relatives made a donation toward its upkeep and an expert was sent out to examine the fresco.

At first church authorities thought the picture had been deliberately vandalized until the octogenarian came forward and admitted her role.

The Centro de Estudios Borjanos, a local cultural organization responsible for preserving the town's artistic heritage, has called for a full investigation into how it was allowed to happen.

"The value of the original work was not very high but it was more of a sentimental value," said a spokesman.

"It was painted by Elias Garcia Martinez who is the father of two well-known local artists and the family had made a donation toward its preservation.

"The church is always open because many people visit ... no one realized what the old woman was doing until she had finished," the spokesman said.

Officials hope to find out what materials the woman used in her work on the fresco to help experts in undoing the damage.

MadBurgerMaker

What's fucked up is that "before" picture is after she scrubbed it or something and pulled off those big white chunks on the face, etc.

The Brain

They made a monkey out of Him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

There are about 50 young women in my office space learning how to code.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2012, 12:16:27 PM

That's a lot, is your office a school too?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 24, 2012, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2012, 12:16:27 PM

That's a lot, is your office a school too?

Nope. But about 40% of our floor space is rented out to a growth accelerator for tech start ups, but since they're all away doing pitches somewhere the space is being used by these people today: http://ladieslearningcode.com/

Admiral Yi

Anyone want to guess what the #1 imported beer in the US is?  :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 12:33:56 PM

Stella?

garbon

I just read that SF/Oakland is the fittest metro area in the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I looked it up. Would have thought that before I moved to NYC where people constantly order Stella.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I think it's been Corona for a while, sadly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I was going to guess Heineken, but Corona is probably right.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 24, 2012, 12:41:12 PM
I was going to guess Heineken, but Corona is probably right.

H is #2.