News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

:huh:  How do you manage to have so few murders when you people can't even have handguns to protect yourselves?

Barrister

What's the rate per 100,000?  Trying to determine if y'all are just amateurs or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Dunno about German cities, but in Vienna almost all homicides will be a relationship gone bad where one stabs/strangles the other. Occasionally you have murder/suicides with older people "with terminal illness".

What I love about Austria is that some criminals are put into an "Anstalt for geistig abnorme Rechtsbrecher", which is pretty much a literal translation of "asylum for the criminally insane." I always have to think of Arkham Asylum.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 02:53:58 PM
What's the rate per 100,000?  Trying to determine if y'all are just amateurs or not.

According to Wiki 0.8. Austria's is 0.6.

Edit: WTF . . . U.S. Virgin Islands 39.2??
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 21, 2012, 02:50:23 PM
:huh:  How do you manage to have so few murders when you people can't even have handguns to protect yourselves?

They use conceal and carry for landmines.  The slogan "Don't tread on me" had a major impact on the Germans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2012, 02:58:17 PM

Ours is 4.2.  :yeah:
Probably sexual frustration.

Barrister

As I thought - amateurs. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Nowhere to run.

Admiral Yi

Augusta National Golf Club (home of The Masters') has accepted its first female members.  Condie Rice and the CEO of IBM were the ones I heard mentioned.

Didn't know Big Blue had a chick CEO.

MadImmortalMan

This is a sad day. The Nevada Secretary of State has officially retired from MMA and will never again enter The Octagon.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

:lmfao:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48727305/ns/today-back_to_school/

West Virginia University students celebrate the death of Osama Bin Laden around a burning couch in Morgantown, W.Va. West Virginia University is the nation's top party school, displacing Ohio University in an annual survey by Princeton Review.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 21, 2012, 07:02:12 PM
This is a sad day. The Nevada Secretary of State has officially retired from MMA and will never again enter The Octagon.
What the hell? Nevada Secretary of State was an MMA fighter!?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2012, 12:35:38 PM
So what tasks would require Navy personnel in landlocked Afghanistan? Serious question.

Corpsmen for Marines. Navy provides the medics.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 21, 2012, 07:39:29 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 21, 2012, 07:02:12 PM
What the hell? Nevada Secretary of State was an MMA fighter!?

Yes. He only did it once or twice I think.

In other news, The President's motorcade shut down all the major commuter freeways today at precisely 5:30pm.  :glare:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers