The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 11:41:19 AM
If I was going to build a house I would try and get it made out of brick.

Except that I doubt you'd be able to find a builder who would know how.

Being from Denmark, I've also long thought that a proper house is built from bricks.

However, living in Vancouver I'm reconciled to wood buildings. They're better in an earthquake, for one.

Wood-framed buildings clad in bricks are stupid, however.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I just email bombed that one to my sister, who despises that meme  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2012, 09:09:18 PM
I just email bombed that one to my sister, who despises that meme  :lol:

And she promptly replies: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT OF THE HOUSE

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:45:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2012, 05:16:57 PM
Brick houses are ugly.

You, sir, are crazy.

When I was looking at houses a year ago (my, how times change), I was definitely enamored with some of the older houses from the late 50s and early 60s;  those brick babies were built to fucking last, man. 

I would definitely pull the trigger on brick in a heartbeat.

Razgovory

They're not so good against Earthquakes.  They do hold up well against tornadoes though.  I live in a brick house.  Well mostly brick.  The basement is concrete.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:45:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2012, 05:16:57 PM
Brick houses are ugly.

You, sir, are crazy.
Indeed.
Trumps concrete anyday.
And wood houses...I don't fancy living in a glorified shed.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2012, 10:06:50 PM
They're not so good against Earthquakes.  They do hold up well against tornadoes though.  I live in a brick house.  Well mostly brick.  The basement is concrete.

I'll roll the dice on better energy insulation efficiency versus the occasional once-every-150-years earthquake and rarely-seen tornadoes.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Your WashPost slap-of-reality chart of the day.

QuoteThe most amazing Supreme Court chart. Maybe ever.

While browsing around the Pew polling site this morning — and, yes, we do a fair amount of that — we came across a chart on the Supreme Court that reminded us, for the billionth time, that assuming the average person follows the back and forth of Washington as closely as we do is a major mistake.

So, yeah. A majority of people don't know the name of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. More frightening? Eight percent named Thurgood Marshall, who not only was never the Chief Justice but also died in 1993. And let's not even talk about the four percent who think Harry Reid, a Senator not a member of the Supreme Court, is the Chief Justice.

Yes, the data is from the summer of 2010, which is almost two years ago now. And yes, with the Court more front and center in the news — Citizens United, health care — of late, it's possible those able to name John Roberts as the Chief Justice may be slightly higher today. But, only slightly.

What the above chart proves is that analysis about how what the Court does — whether it's what they have already done on Citizens United or what they might do with the Affordable Care Act — will impact the political landscape amounts to something close to a guessing game.

Regular people are simply not engaged — they don't know or care — about the intricacies of the government in a way that people who live inside the Beltway and spend their lives in politics are.

It's a lesson we have to re-learn constantly.