News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I met a McCoy at a convention once. :)  She was trying to sell cookbooks called "The Real McCoy Cookbook" or something like that.  I smiled politely and backed away. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2012, 06:55:16 PM
If Princesca's great uncle ever met Lettuce and he started with his Japan shit, Uncle Georgie would literally kick Lettuce's teeth out.

...just like he did to the Japanese in World War II.  I wonder if he still has that jar of gold fillings. :hmm:

Had a neighbor like that when I was growing up.  Very nice old man.  Just don't bring up the Japanese.  He was at Bataan.  The first one.  I had a great uncle who spent the war trying to coax the Japanese out of those damned caves after islands had been secured.  He had a bullhorn.  If that didn't work they used lots of gasoline and flamethrowers.  Stayed on as a reservist or something and ended up in Korea.   Was eventually gunned down in Kansas City.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2012, 07:17:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 07:03:25 PM
So would my great-uncle Bill.  3rd Tank Battalion, 3rd Marines.
I don't remember what division Georgie was in but I know he was on Okinawa.  When he wasn't busy defiling enemy corpses he laid telegraph wire.

Uncle Bill was a gunny sergeant repairing tanks, pushing them out as fast as possible. 
Got a tank back in service after working on if for days;  they got it up and running, and the crew promptly drove it over a wooden bridge, collapsing it and dropping about 600 feet into a ravine.

Said blowing the Jap ammo depot on Bougainville was the most beautiful thing he ever saw.

Josephus

Not that I really give a fuck about baseball (yawn), even typing the word puts me to sleep, but the Blue Jays home opener is setting a record. 5 and half hours (yawn), 16 innings.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on April 05, 2012, 08:27:07 PM
Not that I really give a fuck about baseball (yawn), even typing the word puts me to sleep, but the Blue Jays home opener is setting a record. 5 and half hours (yawn), 16 innings.

Naturally, my fantasy team is batting .120 today.  :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

I just noticed several dozen eggs in the fridge. Yep, Easter is coming.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I don't know if you non-Norwegistanis have seen this, but check out the tow truck driver winning the "Dude, That Was Your Ass" Award for the Year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wuw_rwJz7c

Apparently the big rig driver had injuries, but lived.

Ideologue

Quote from: Octavian on April 05, 2012, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 04, 2012, 11:19:57 PM
What do you guys think of these?  I've tried to make them kind of tricky, but not require more knowledge than you would expect from someone who went to school for twenty fucking years.

1.By whom was Harold Godwinson conquered in 1066?  (Guillaume le Batard)
2.This robotic Superman villain, considered by many to be his second greatest enemy, was the subject of a copyright dispute in 1962 between DC Comics and Edmund Berkely, the maker of a computer kit for children.  What is his name? (Brainiac)
3. What is 150/12?  (12.5)
4.  The two less famous members of the First Triumvirate were named Marcus Crassus and Gnaeus Pompeius.  Who is the other member?  Bear in mind you only get a point if you pronounce the name in something approaching the correct Latin.  (Iulius Caesar)
5.  The Qing Dynasty of China were of what ethnicity?  (Manchu, or Jurchen)
6.  What was the internationally recognized capital of China from 1949 to 1971? (Taipei)
7.  Who was the actress who played Travis Bickle's romantic date to the movies in Taxi Driver?  (Cybil Shepherd)
8.  If I were to use the adjective "Cytherean," what uncomfortable place would I be preferring to? (Venus)
9.  Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created this obscure comic book character in 1939.  (Superman)
10.  This champion of the rights of the downtrodden was crucified by the Roman authorities in the first century B.C.  (Spartacus)

The fate of Spartacus after the final battle is unknown.  His body was never found.

You callin' Stanley Kubrick a liar?

Anyway, the point was to get people to shout "Jesus."  HA HA.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 05, 2012, 08:40:15 PM

Man, fuck Easter.  On account of Easter they're closing my office so I can't work on Saturday.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
I met a McCoy at a convention once. :)  She was trying to sell cookbooks called "The Real McCoy Cookbook" or something like that.  I smiled politely and backed away. :bowler:

Grandpa once took me to Devil Anse's grave. I'm not certain if he's actually a relative, but I got that impression at the time. Pike County = Redneck Bolivia.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

My snot was shockingly green this morning. But aside from feeling a little stuffed up I'm totally fine.  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2012, 09:37:52 PM
Quote from: Octavian on April 05, 2012, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 04, 2012, 11:19:57 PM
What do you guys think of these?  I've tried to make them kind of tricky, but not require more knowledge than you would expect from someone who went to school for twenty fucking years.

1.By whom was Harold Godwinson conquered in 1066?  (Guillaume le Batard)
2.This robotic Superman villain, considered by many to be his second greatest enemy, was the subject of a copyright dispute in 1962 between DC Comics and Edmund Berkely, the maker of a computer kit for children.  What is his name? (Brainiac)
3. What is 150/12?  (12.5)
4.  The two less famous members of the First Triumvirate were named Marcus Crassus and Gnaeus Pompeius.  Who is the other member?  Bear in mind you only get a point if you pronounce the name in something approaching the correct Latin.  (Iulius Caesar)
5.  The Qing Dynasty of China were of what ethnicity?  (Manchu, or Jurchen)
6.  What was the internationally recognized capital of China from 1949 to 1971? (Taipei)
7.  Who was the actress who played Travis Bickle's romantic date to the movies in Taxi Driver?  (Cybil Shepherd)
8.  If I were to use the adjective "Cytherean," what uncomfortable place would I be preferring to? (Venus)
9.  Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created this obscure comic book character in 1939.  (Superman)
10.  This champion of the rights of the downtrodden was crucified by the Roman authorities in the first century B.C.  (Spartacus)

The fate of Spartacus after the final battle is unknown.  His body was never found.

You callin' Stanley Kubrick a liar?

Anyway, the point was to get people to shout "Jesus."  HA HA.

Couldn't "Cytheran" also refer to the Greek Island of Cythera?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2012, 09:38:51 PM

Man, fuck Easter.  On account of Easter they're closing my office so I can't work on Saturday.

You are such a buzzkill. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH THE WORLD DOESN'T WANT TO DO WHAT I WANT TO DO!

Pull up your pants and man up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2012, 07:37:03 AM

You are such a buzzkill. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

No shit.  Off on a Saturday or peeling potatoes?  WTF, man. 

The only time you worry about a law school grad is when he stops bitching.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2012, 07:38:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2012, 07:37:03 AM

You are such a buzzkill. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

No shit.  Off on a Saturday or peeling potatoes?  WTF, man. 

See, Imma tell you, like Wu told me.
Kinemalogue