News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Bee Pee has brought suit against Haliburton for all $21 billion it spent on cleanup and damages for the Gulf oil spill.

Tonitrus

Watch out for cheap office chairs....

http://www.5-tv.ru/news/49190/

Um, yeah that is in Russian, but the gyst is..."20-year old Chinese woman tried to adjust her office chair, and the pneumatic mechanism exploded, driving shrapnel through the seat into her body.  Apparently the 7th such incident from cheap Chinese office chairs.

Ed Anger

Spike just got a new segment for A thousand ways to die.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 03, 2012, 09:43:51 PM

Um, yeah that is in Russian, but the gyst is..."20-year old Chinese woman tried to adjust her office chair, and the pneumatic mechanism exploded, driving shrapnel through the seat into her body.  Apparently the 7th such incident from cheap Chinese office chairs.
Good God that sounds horrifying! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Got my first check today.  Any Tea Party fuck who tells me I don't pay taxes is going through the industrial dishwasher, because that shit is 50 dollars short of what I technically earned.  And if they protest that I'll be getting it back whenever I file my returns, while the boiling water scalds them to death, I'll point out they're taking into account neither the SS taxes that pay for their decrepit old fuck welfare, nor the lesser present value of a refund versus simply having the cash given directly to me.

P.S. anyone who understands present discounted value, even vaguely, probably should be making more than $7.25 an hour, but that's America!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 03, 2012, 09:43:51 PM

Ouch. I'm never going to swivel in my office chair again.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 03, 2012, 07:07:19 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2012, 06:55:45 PM
Oh the annual grind: employee evaluations.

Buh

Oh, what a grand time in business.  :menace:

I had mine today.

Only major area of improvement falls under the opaque definition of "attitude".
Apparently, certain members of my extended work family feel I have a "combative edge".  Fucking imagine fucking that.

"The problem is, sometimes you're perceived with coming across with a bit of an...edge...when it comes to some things."
"But the fact of the matter is, ABC and XYZ are pretty screwed up, you know."
"Well, that's the problem.  You're 100% right about ABC and XYZ, but it's not about being right, it's about how you say it."
"OK...but if I'm right...THEN HOW THE FUCK ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO FUCKING SAY IT? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE AROUND HERE? WHAT IS THIS, FUCKING DAY CARE?"
"Uh...see, this is what I'm sorta talking about here."

Ideologue

Calm down.  No one's gonna buy that it was the boss that kicked your ass when you decide to resign need the year's salary to buy a Firebird and support your cheerleader-seducing lifestyle.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

a girl i've been seeing broke things off with me recently. lesson learned from this attempt: never buy a gift until relationship status has been established. that $40 bottle of anejo patron for christmas i got her hurts, man

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 03, 2012, 11:42:11 PM
Calm down.  No one's gonna buy that it was the boss that kicked your ass when you decide to resign need the year's salary to buy a Firebird and support your cheerleader-seducing lifestyle.

My problem is, I learned too many of my interpersonal skills on the street.  Doesn't translate well to touchy-feely Corporate Ameritude.  THE 'NAM AIN'T FOR YOU MAN

Jaron

It's nice when you're so good at your job that even though you're a bit of a loose cannon they still would rather put up with your crap than replace you. :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

LaCroix

Quote from: Jaron on January 04, 2012, 01:06:26 AM
It's nice when you're so good at your job that even though you're a bit of a loose cannon they still would rather put up with your crap than replace you. :)

loose canon? i think examples are needed. if you were cdm, we'd know  :P

Eddie Teach

Jaron takes an extra ten minutes on his lunch break every Friday.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

I'm more of an idealist/drama queen than a loose cannon.

I work with Mormons though and they have a very no nonsense approach to business. It's like celebrating Christmas with Jehovas witnesses.
Winner of THE grumbler point.