And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2012, 05:21:24 AM
Jeez, a high school girl Syt?

She looks legal to me. Besides, I posted this because I thought this was mildly amusing, not because she was superhot.

But I could depend on you to get your frilly panties in a twist, so, it was not quite in vain.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

But here, Tim, something to cheer you up:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

:D What the hell is that!?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Apparently the mormons are making a big push in this area, had two around mine tonight.
This just...isn't right. I don't like what they're doing at all. One of the beautiful things about Japan is it still keeps its native religion (with a bit of harmless buddhism tacked on), it hasn't had the foreign semitic religion of christianity thrust upon it the way the various people of Europe had.
I just don't get why some Japanese are signing up for it. Mormonism is an extra crazy blend of christianity too. One of the girls who game was a rather cute Chinese-American too, wonder what possessed her family to go Mormon.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2012, 07:34:22 AM
Apparently the mormons are making a big push in this area, had two around mine tonight.
This just...isn't right. I don't like what they're doing at all. One of the beautiful things about Japan is it still keeps its native religion (with a bit of harmless buddhism tacked on), it hasn't had the foreign semitic religion of christianity thrust upon it the way the various people of Europe had.
I just don't get why some Japanese are signing up for it. Mormonism is an extra crazy blend of christianity too. One of the girls who game was a rather cute Chinese-American too, wonder what possessed her family to go Mormon.

Mormons are like that world wide. Anywhere they wouldn't get their heads cut off for trying.

Their actual practices aren't that odd, but their theology is batshit crazy. Magic rocks, golden plates, lost tribes...sounds like it would be the plotline of Final Fantasy or something.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Jaron on January 05, 2012, 07:51:03 AM
Mormons are like that world wide. Anywhere they wouldn't get their heads cut off for trying.

Their actual practices aren't that odd, but their theology is batshit crazy. Magic rocks, golden plates, lost tribes...sounds like it would be the plotline of Final Fantasy or something.
Which would explain the Japanese take up.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

One of the beautiful things about Japan is it still keeps its native religion (with a bit of harmless buddhism tacked on), it hasn't had the foreign semitic religion of christianity thrust upon it the way the various people of Europe had.

:huh:  Japan's Christian community is very old and has a rather large number of adherents (1-2 million, as I recall).  On top of that, they exert disproportionate power in Japanese politics.  You're just talking out of your ass here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2012, 09:12:31 AM
:huh:  Japan's Christian community is very old and has a rather large number of adherents (1-2 million, as I recall). On top of that, they exert disproportionate power in Japanese politics.  You're just talking out of your ass here.
Yeah, they've had like 7 Prime Ministers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

One of the beautiful things about Japan is it still keeps its native religion (with a bit of harmless buddhism tacked on), it hasn't had the foreign semitic religion of christianity thrust upon it the way the various people of Europe had.

:huh:  Japan's Christian community is very old and has a rather large number of adherents (1-2 million, as I recall).  On top of that, they exert disproportionate power in Japanese politics.  You're just talking out of your ass here.
That's 1% of the population. Britain has more hindus than that. Japan is overall quite thoroughly vaguely shintoy-buddhisty native religiony.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2012, 09:26:44 AM

That's 1% of the population. Britain has more hindus than that. Japan is overall quite thoroughly vaguely shintoy-buddhisty native religiony.
Have there been 7 Hindu Prime Ministers?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I'm going to have to say that Tyr is probably right here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

That's not entirely true - Japan has a long history of Christianity, and at one point in fact the Japanese Christians (allegedly) threatened to take over the state - leading to a war o extermination against them by the Tokugawa.

Also, native Japanese Buddhism and Shinto are hardly harmless, as both (for example) actively supported Japanese militarism. Controversies over Japanese shrines honouring Japanese war dead continue to this day. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I'm aware of the history. I like it though that christianity was turned back here and 16th century trends didn't continue.

And I never said Japanese religion was harmless. I like however that it is a native religion which hasn't been stamped out in the way so many others were by christianity.
██████
██████
██████